Billing and Collections Specialist
- American Public University System
- West Virginia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Billing and Collections Specialist
Requisition Number: BILLI004030
Location: Charles Town, WV, USA
Specialist, Billing and Collections
American Public Education, Inc.
This is a Flexible role based in Charles Town, WV with the ability to work remotely 1-2 days per week
The Billing and Collections Specialist is responsible for collection activities with students and third parties, invoicing civilian and military third parties for tuition and fees, report formatting and maintenance, research inquiries, and graduation audits, as well as supporting accounts receivable management and reporting. This position requires exceptional customer service skills.
- Formats, researches, and analyzes weekly collections reports to identify accounts for collection and communication.
- Assigns codes to categorize and group outstanding balances by reason.
- Completes invoicing to third parties for tuition and fees in accordance with the monthly billing schedule.
- Collaborates with other teams to ensure seamless invoice processing, funds applications, and collections.
- Maintains all communications, review of requested student payment plans, as well as inbound and outbound calling within established service level agreements.
- Provides established solutions to students and third parties to meet financial needs.
- Regularly updates various reports with research notes based on collections activities with students and third parties.
- Works with external collection agencies to prepare accounts for submission, resolve student balances, inquiries, and ensure accounts reconcile between various systems.
- Sends weekly, monthly, and quarterly communications to students and third parties using third party software.
- Researches and resolves past due invoices and payment issues.
- Completes graduation audits.
- Interacts with other departments to achieve daily goals.
- Ensures compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX), Department of Education, and various industry-related (e.g. FDCPA) guidelines in daily processing.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Overtime and weekend hours as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a high energy team environment.
- Excellent organization and the ability to work under time sensitive deadlines.
- Strong problem solving and exercises sound judgment.
- Ability to handle escalated issues calmly and professionally.
- Demonstrated positive work ethic and attitude.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically excel, is required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is preferred.
- Minimum one year of collections or business to business invoicing experience is preferred.
- Accounts receivable experience is preferred.
Online, on campus and in the workplace, we provide education and training to our country's heroes - military service members, veterans, nurses and motivated professionals that want to make a difference. American Public Education, Inc. is a mission-driven provider of higher education to working adults with a proud history of serving the military, public service and nursing communities through American Public University System (APUS) and Hondros College of Nursing (HCON).
It is the policy of American Public University System (APUS) and American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. of American Public University System (APUS) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/b66d4325-6be5-4691-ab44-c96532dee1ff/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=63db8750-8e4b-40eb-9201-7626554dbc9e jeid-d78b09b09a89d644b8a83fc67c92039d
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert