Residence Life Operations Coordinator
- Christopher Newport University
- Newport News, Virginia
- Posted Date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Residence Life
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Chief Objective of Position:
The Residence Life Operations Coordinator will support the Office of Residence Life in its mission to create a safe and inclusive community for all students that complement the educational mission of the University. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Residence Life Operations and Student Staff Development, this position will be responsible for assisting with the day-to-day support of 100+ student front desk assistants (FDAs). The coordinator will have an active role in the recruitment and training of all student staff employed by residence life to include front desk assistants (FDAs) and resident assistants (RA). The coordinator will be part of the central office staff, providing day-to-day support on special projects and overall office operations.
- Coordinates the recruitment and selection process of all front desk staff positions.
- In collaboration with the central office staff, provides support in the hiring of resident assistants (RAs) and Senior RAs (SRAs).
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Residence Life Operations and Student Staff Development to ensure all student staff hiring paperwork is accurate and completed in a timely manner; ensures all student staff are compliant with required training such as: clery, title IX, residence life policies, desk operation protocols, safety, and security; keeps accurate data.
- Updates front desk manuals to include new policies and procedures; recommends any changes to the Assistant Director for Residence Life Operations and Student Staff Development.
- Provides direct support to the Front Desk night shift, meeting regularly with student staff desk Coordinators.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director for Residential Operations and Student Staff Development, coordinates training for all front desk staff upon return for the academic year.
- Provides ongoing information and updates to FDA staff, Residential Fellows, and central office staff to provide timely updates related to upcoming dates, policy changes, and other important information.
- Holds staff accountable by documenting any job performance issues and reporting them directly to the Assistant Director for Residential Operations and Student Staff Development.
- Supports the day-to-day central office operations by providing oversight to the Senior RAs, managing correspondence from the residence life office, and serving as a primary resource for students, faculty, and staff, regarding residential matters.
- Shares responsibility as the office webmaster; coordinates additions and revisions to the Residence Life website; attends training sessions on web design and maintenance as needed.
- Contribute to and/or complete Residence Life projects, including research and benchmarking.
- Support the residence life team with campus events such as move-in, RA training, and opening and closing of residence halls; may require night, weekend, and holiday work.
- Supports division of Student Affairs by assisting with orientation, commencement, and admission events; may require participation on nights and weekends.
- Serves in an on-call rotation to assist with low-level concerns during business hours.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies, including students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect.
- Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Follow workplace safety regulations and adhere to applicable standards, processes, and programs established for your position.
· Report unsafe work conditions to your supervisor.
· Immediately report work-related incidents to your supervisor and participate in accident investigation requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated time management skills. Ability to work both independently and on a team. Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred:
Supervision skills. Ability to quickly learn complex processes and information.
Master’s degree in a related field; or Bachelor’s degree plus work experiences that equates to an advanced degree.
Demonstrated experience managing multiple tasks. Demonstrated experience working with a team. Demonstrated experience planning and implementing projects and/or programs.
Experience working in a college environment, experience managing student employees, experience in residence life
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 388 Best Colleges: 2023 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 2nd among public regional universities in the South and 5th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Position Detail Information
Working Title: Residence Life Operations Coordinator
Position Number: GA359
Appointment Type: Full Time
Sensitive Position: No
Sensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority: Yes
Campus Security Authority Statement:
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel: Yes
Designated Personnel Statement:
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest: No
Statement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position: Yes
Restricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is a restricted position.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number: AP280P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting Date: 02/23/2023
Application Deadline: 03/12/2023
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application.
Review of applications will begin at 11:59PM EST on March 12, 2023.
Applications received after 11:59PM EST on March 12, 2023, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
Quick Link for Internal Postings: https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/15333
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement:
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert