Director of Alumni Relations
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's beautiful
tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse,
and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500
students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal
alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff,
Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for
academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges
in the country.
is building a diverse
academic community and especially encourages applications from
women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups,
persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional
dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College
is an EEO employer.
Whitman College seeks a creative and dynamic leader to renew alumni
engagement in support of the mission of Whitman College. Reporting
to the Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations, the
Director of Alumni Relations is responsible for leading the Alumni
Relations team and collaborating with key campus stakeholders to
mobilize a loyal alumni base to advance strategic objectives of the
College. These objectives include enhancing career preparation of
students and young alumni; partnering in the identification and
recruitment of prospective students; advocating for diversity,
equity, and inclusion in both the campus and alumni communities;
and facilitating philanthropic investment in the College. In
support of these objectives, the Director of Alumni Relations will
leverage all available resources, including but not limited to
innovative approaches to volunteer management, technology
applications, digital communications, and special events.
- Leads an Alumni Relations staff, including three staff member
- Collaborates closely with the Student Engagement Center to
advance the College's career preparation initiatives for students
and young alumni.
- Partners with the Office of Admission to ensure broad alumni
activities in support of identifying and enrolling students at the
- Oversees reunion and affinity reunions and ensures that these
programs advance the College's objectives.
- Applies principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in
efforts to engage the broadest experiences, talents, and resources
of alumni to bear for the student experience at Whitman.
- Is a liaison to the Whitman College Alumni Association Board of
Directors in their advisory role of supporting alumni programs to
meet the College's objectives.
- Serves as a member of the Development and Alumni Relations
Senior Team to collaborate and support all programs facilitating
the investment and engagement of alumni, parents, and friends in
the life and mission of the College.
- Is responsible for the Alumni Relations team's creation of
thoughtful, inclusive, and purpose-driven communications to alumni,
including social media, email, web, and print mediums. Partners
with the Office of Communications to ensure consistency with the
college's core messaging platform.
- Provides meaningful alumni volunteer opportunities not only
through the Alumni Association Board, but also through the Student
Engagement Center, Admission, regional events, and reunions.
- Manages alumni records and other alumni related material.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Effective leadership, management and coordination skills
- Ability and willingness to partner with key campus stakeholders
on institution-wide goals
- Ability to work with alumni individually, in committees, and in
- Must be highly organized, able to think strategically, handle
multiple tasks, prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Possess a commitment to advancing the diversity, equity and
inclusion values and goals of the College
- Ability to manage staff effectively
- Detailed planning and budget management skills and ability to
ensure that programming is run in a fiscally responsible
- Ability to be a compelling advocate for the mission of a
liberal arts college
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of five years of responsibility in alumni relations
or closely related work experience, which should include
significant work with volunteers or other outside constituencies of
- Some travel is required, as is occasional weekend and evening
- Master's degree
- Graduate of, or familiarity with residential liberal arts
colleges and Whitman College in particular is highly
All Whitman College employees are required to comply with the
college's vaccination policy. More information can be found
Application review will begin September 13 and will continue until
the position is filled.
December 1, 2021
For full application instructions and position description,