Assistant Manager, Maintenance
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Manager, Maintenance
Location: Facility Srv: Maintenance&Ops
Job ID: 607047
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position operates on non-standard business hours and requires evenings and/or weekend shifts.
- Work is performed occasionally in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- Upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to best evaluate your prior experience as it meets the needs of the position.
- Employees of Facility Services are considered essential staff and must report to work when the university is closed for emergencies. This position is required to participate in on-call, call back duties and snow removal, which can include days, nights, weekends, and holidays. Under established circumstances will respond to emergency dispatch calls within set timeframes in Administrative or Campus Living buildings.
Northern Arizona University's General Maintenance shop in Facility Services is now hiring two (2) Assistant Managers, Maintenance . General Maintenance Mechanics are the front-line responders in Facility Services. The Assistant Manager will assist with the oversight of employees who are responsible for the general maintenance (GM) and repair or replacement of property, furniture, and equipment within established institutional standards, policies, and guidelines to ensure proper maintenance of university property.
Northern Arizona University's Operations and Maintenance is responsible for the maintenance and continued safe operation of campus facilities, and for prolonging the useful life of facilities. Operations and Maintenance is tasked with operation and maintenance of campus buildings with respect to electrical, custodial, building access, fire life safety, plumbing, general maintenance, carpentry and paint. It is also responsible for maintaining the campus grounds, which includes snow removal.
For more information visit our Operations and Maintenance website: https://in.nau.edu/facility-services/ops/
Oversee Daily Functions of GM Shop - 20%
- Monitoring workflow, employee relations, and daily activities
- Ensuring accurate and complete records are maintained.
- Help in resolving customer complaints or issues.
- Ensuring a safe working environment.
- Manages/coordinated all job and site-specific safety requirements (hazard assessments, required training, PPE use, etc) and procedures for direct reports.
- Proactively participates in accident prevention efforts for employees and responds to injuries and accidents promptly to modify activities and prevent further accidents.
Coordinate repairs and replacements - 20%
- Coordinating repair of buildings, property, furniture, fixtures or equipment including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, carpentry and painting repair and maintenance.
- Coordinating replacement of buildings, property, furniture, fixtures or equipment including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, carpentry related items.
Assisting with development of schedules - 20%
- Work/staff schedules.
- Equipment usage schedules.
- Monitoring status of work requests.
Assisting with inspections - 20%
- Inspection of buildings and property for inventory.
- Inspection of buildings for maintenance and repair purposes.
On-Call First Response - 10%
- Responding to and repairing emergency maintenance issues outside of normal operating hours.
- When reported emergency is outside of scope of General Maintenance, referring issues to appropriate on-call trades for repair.
Other duties as assigned -10%
- High school degree.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Bachelor's degree.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of general maintenance principles, practices and techniques.
- Basic knowledge of baseline planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating skills.
- Knowledge of baseline human resource regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory or management techniques.
- Skill in applying general maintenance principles, practices and techniques.
- Applies baseline planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating skills.
- Communicates effectively.
- Recognizes and escalates unusual situations or problems.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
- Ability to lift, carry, and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of CMMS programs.
- Ability to work occasionally in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- Valid Driver's License.
Driving a vehicle on behalf of the university is a regular part of this position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review. The law applies to all faculty, staff, and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles or personally-owned vehicles on University business. A driving record check and completion of required training must be completed before driving occurs on behalf of the university. More information on the NAU Authorized Driver Policy can be found on the NAU website.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $41,421. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
April 10, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607047&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert