Biobehavioral Health & Nursing Science Department Chair
- University of South Carolina
- Columbia, South Carolina
- Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Feb 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Nursing
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Biobehavioral Health and Nursing Science Department Chair
The Department Chair will devote 50% of time for administrative effort.
- Provide visionary leadership with future-oriented thinking about the direction of Biobehavioral Health and Nursing Science department and the College of Nursing.
- Serve as a role model for department faculty while developing and maintaining a positive and productive work environment that promotes excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Lead and collaborate with faculty in supporting the faculty development opportunities within the department, such as writing groups, mentoring groups, etc., and mentor faculty on promotion and career progression. Mentor faculty in proposing and conducting biobehavioral research in nursing science.
- Lead/ facilitate nominations for national awards and fellowships. Work with CON Awards committee to nominate faculty for CON, University, state, and regional awards.
- Support shared governance (faculty councils and administrative) to shape the department’s mission and significant outcomes.
- Support the PhD program and PhD program director (e.g., monitoring curricular/program review and assessment, ensuring program effectiveness).
- Monitor research, teaching, practice, and service contributions of the department faculty while maintaining a climate that encourages faculty success, creativity, and innovation.
- Collaborate with other department chairs and program directors to determine teaching assignments and faculty workload.
- Recruit, retain, and evaluate departmental faculty to assist them in developing their full potential as educators, researchers/scholars, practitioners, leaders, and College and University citizens in the department.
- Approve faculty appointments, merit advancements, and promotions in consultation with departmental and senior leadership teams in accordance with CON and university policies.
- Manage faculty travel budget within the department.
- Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team and all faculty to implement the mission and vision for the College.
- Collaborate with other senior leaders in evaluating strategic plan outcomes, annual Blueprint reporting, and other annual reports.
- Maintains own tenure/tenure track faculty responsibilities/activities according to faculty status and rank.
Required Education and Experience:
- Earned doctorate, PhD. Meets rank for associate or full professor with tenure with a history of R- level funding. Evidence of an understanding of University policies and procedures for education. Demonstrates evidence of collaboration in research, service, and scholarship in nursing science and/or biobehavioral science. Ability to work effectively across all levels with the USC health sciences. Strong written and verbal skills. Evidence of ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality. History of managing faculty and staff and excellent interpersonal skills. History of progressive academic leadership positions (i.e., Council/committee chair, program director, assistant dean, center director, and/or other academic leadership positions). An innovative thought leader in PhD education for nurses.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert