Head, Purdue University School of Nursing
- Purdue University School of Nursing
- West Lafayette, Indiana
- Posted Date
- Feb 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Nursing, Administrative
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
• Provides academic leadership in strategic planning activities to formulate, implement and evaluate goals and outcomes for the School of Nursing.
• Oversees the development of educational programs to support a nursing workforce that is critically needed by the healthcare industry in Indiana and region, emphasizing well-prepared nurses and nursing leaders at multiple levels.
• Works closely with all academic units in the College of Health and Human Sciences to enhance the goals of the college.
• Establishes communications systems and organizational structure for the School.
• Works with search committees to recruit qualified faculty members and carries forward recommendations for appointment, retention, promotion, and tenure to appropriate forums.
• Plans, assigns, and directs the work of the School in accordance with Purdue’s policies and applicable laws.
• Supervises the faculty administrative team and executive staff.
• Evaluates performance, rewards and mentors staff, addresses concerns, and resolves any human resources issues that might arise.
• Encourages and facilitates professional development of faculty, staff, and administrators.
• Promotes the success of obtaining extramural funding for, and provides oversight to, the research agenda for the School of Nursing, including clinical, educational, and research, inclusive of inter-professional activities, as well as public health and outcomes research.
• Directs resource utilization for the School in collaboration with the Dean, administrators, and faculty; Approves all expenditures, public statements, grants, and contracts.
• Serves as a liaison with the North Central Nursing Clinics, the Federally Qualified Health Center affiliated with the School.
• Represents the School in regional, state, and national taskforces related to the improvement of nursing/healthcare resources and services.
• Provides leadership in development/fundraising to support scholarships and initiatives.
• Reviews goals, objectives, policies, and procedures in consultation with students, faculty, university, and community advisory bodies, and accreditation agencies.
• Oversees student affairs in collaboration with the Associate Head, including admission, progression, and graduation.
• Maintains membership in, and participates in, activities of professional associations.
• Serves as a knowledgeable resource person to colleagues, students, and community.
• Serves as a leader in nursing and in nursing education at state, regional, and national levels.
• Maintains appropriate teaching and scholarship roles.
The successful candidate will be a scholar and leader with a recognized reputation that includes demonstrated potential for collaborative, credible administrative leadership, and a clear commitment to nursing scholarship, education, and clinical service. Requirements also include:
• The capacity and experience to be successful in administrative leadership, particularly the ability to balance the modalities of teaching, research, and clinical service;
• Evidence of a firm demonstrated commitment to the values of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all aspects of research, education, and service;
• An exceptional record of distinguished scholarly accomplishment in a relevant area (care of the older adult; family, maternal and child health; health policy and evaluation, health promotion and population health; healthcare systems and organizations; nursing education; or mental health)
• A strong track record in obtaining extramural research funding and publications in quality peer reviewed journals;
• The ability to mentor junior faculty as they establish research and education programs;
• An entrepreneurial, creative, and collegial outlook that inspires and realizes the ambitions of the faculty to foster the School’s national prominence;
• The enthusiasm to build and grow the School’s research portfolio through an inclusive strategic planning process; and
• Evidence of sound judgment, creative strategic thinking, and integrity.
Education, Rank and Tenure Requirements
The Head must have scholarly credentials commensurate with the rank of tenured Full Professor upon hire, including a master’s degree in nursing and a research doctorate degree in nursing or a health-related, relevant field. The position is open to candidates currently at the Associate Professor rank who have exceptionally strong records and who can meet the standards to be hired for immediate tenure and promoted to Full Professor at Purdue University. This position is a full-time, 12-month, tenured position.
Purdue University offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience.
Nominations and Applications
Purdue University has retained the services of the executive search firm Korn Ferry to conduct this important search. All inquiries, nominations, and applications should be submitted to Dr. Josh Ward at Korn Ferry at the e-mail address below.
Applicants should submit:
- A letter of interest describing why you are interested in both the role of Head and Purdue, why you are a good fit for the position based on your research and administrative experience, and why now is a good time for you to consider the opportunity. A full curriculum vitae A statement of commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Purdue University’s School of Nursing is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in a separate Diversity and Inclusion Statement indicating their past experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion. Purdue University, the College of Health and Human Sciences and the School of Nursing are committed to free and open inquiry in all matters. Candidates are encouraged to address in their cover letter how they are prepared to contribute to a climate that values free inquiry and academic freedom.
For priority consideration, please submit all application materials by March 13, 2023.
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert