Director of Democracy Programs, Mansfield Center
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 22, 2023
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Center invites applications for a Director of Democracy Programs to bring leadership, initiative, and energy to Mansfield democracy programs. This is a unique position at a critical time in American democracy that requires an understanding of the needs of our nation and how to effectively engage on such themes. The successful applicant will design and implement practical programming to advance our mission and innovative agenda. A demonstrated commitment to integrity and ability to building trusted relationships is essential.
Founded by an Act of Congress in 1983, the Mansfield Center fosters globally minded leaders of integrity in honor of the legacy of Senator Mike Mansfield and his wife, Maureen. Guided by Senator Mansfield’s example, our work emphasizes civil exchanges of ideas from a diverse range of viewpoints, the importance of democratic institutions, the integration of international relations, and the role that ethical values play in public life.
This role is critical to fulfilling our mission. This position reports directly to the Executive Director in leading all democracy programming by creating and overseeing opportunities for youth and community members to collaboratively strengthen democracy. While the position is based at an academic unit of the University, the position is practical rather than academic in nature. Responsibilities include:
- Understand and succinctly discuss critical issues in democracy in a way that can unify people from diverse backgrounds and ideologies.
- Utilize understanding of democracy priorities to develop a workplan for Democracy Programs, ensuring that the plan is a living document, overseeing and taking part in full implementation and making adjustments as necessary.
- Develop new initiatives in alignment with the Mansfield mission.
- Cultivate a wide network of partners: statewide, throughout the Mountain West, and nationally.
- Oversee interwoven programs for distinctly different urban and rural audiences: middle school, high school, university, and community.
- Create or align with existing opportunities to engage students and community members in evidence-based programming designed to strengthen democracy, including leading conversations bridging divides.
- Develop robust in-person and virtual external speaker programs to amplify the Mansfield mission.
- Draft, review and approve program documents and communications.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on issues related to the Democracy Programs, actively engaging in critical contemporary conversations and seeking out opportunities to elevate the Mansfield Center as a leader in the democracy space.
- Engage in program communications on a local, state, national, and international level, developing media and outreach strategy, including social media engagement, and critical response as needs arise.
- Work with the Executive Director and Director of Development to develop grant proposals and budgets to federal agencies, private foundations, and individual donors.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure programs align with the mission and priorities of the University of Montana.
- Engage in critical networking with Montana, regional partners and national partners in education, non-governmental organizations, business, and government.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to establish, implement, and amplify Mansfield Center mission and identity.
- Develop and manage relationships with external funders and supporters.
- Fill in for the Executive Director as needed in representing the Center with high-level visitors, funders, and stakeholders.
- Work in tandem with the Executive Director on strategic planning; staff organization and development; staff supervision; strategizing on external funding initiatives; and general organizational development and growth.
- Support the Executive Director in ensuring budgetary compliance in all program grant expenditures in accordance with award guidance and UM policy and procedures.
- Primary responsibility in the management and oversight of democracy funding, reporting monthly on the state of budgets to Executive Director and quarterly to funders, working with Mansfield budget managers as necessary.
- Assess program procedures and systems, ensuring efficient program standardization.
- Oversee metrics of Democracy Programs, ensuring that program impacts are documented through the appropriate qualitative and quantitative data, and that those impacts are communicated effectively to all stakeholders.
- Oversee financial and narrative reporting, final reporting, and all other reports necessary for external funders and stakeholders.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Letter of Appointment and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary range for this position is $78,000 - $82,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, law, policy, or relevant field and five (5) years of proven success in implementing cutting-edge programs or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Deep understanding of and ability to communicate about challenges and opportunities in American democracy.
- Professionalism, initiative, judgment, independent thought and action, critical thinking, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent and varied communication skills required to represent the Center in written and verbal exchanges. Ability to communicate across sectors and with critical stakeholders, including U.S. government representatives; foreign government representatives; American Indian representatives; external funders; and partnered universities and organizations (domestic and foreign).
- Ability to independently plan, organize and direct program policies and procedures. Ensure office-wide program record keeping requirements, in compliance with federal and state guidelines.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting people of different backgrounds and ideologies, including those critical to the Mansfield legacy at home in Montana.
- Ability to speak confidently on behalf of the Center to public groups and present programs in an informed, professional, and compelling manner.
- Critical thinking skills to forecast grant spending and ensure grant expenditures are appropriate and timely.
- Proven ability to succeed in a cross-cultural environment, including performing on a team with individuals from different backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
- Must be able to be successful in both a traditional office setting and also in dynamic field situations, such as during program implementation.
- Understanding of global democracy issues and relevance to American national security.
- A master’s degree in political science or relevant field.
- Experience in grant management and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in managing federal and donated funds.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with more than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 500+ full-time faculty members. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
Founded by an Act of Congress in 1983, the Mansfield Center fosters globally minded leaders of integrity in support of democracy and international engagement. We honor Senator Mansfield’s legacy of patriotic statesmanship to bridge divides from a variety of perspectives, unified by our commitment to democracy. Our work emphasizes civil exchanges of ideas from a diverse range of viewpoints, the importance of democratic institutions, and role that ethical values play in public life. Our staff is advised by a bipartisan Board of Advisors and supported by citizens nationwide representing government, business, non-profit, education, service and youth sectors.
The Mansfield Center is committed to creating an environment that encourages, enriches and respects the multidimensional aspects of diversity. Diversity includes, but is not limited to, differences based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation or background, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, economic class or status, points of view, or disabilities. The Mansfield Center is committed to recruiting and retaining a team capable of creating a safe, vibrant, diverse, engaging and intellectually stimulating environment.
To learn more about the University of Montana, and Missoula please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire
How to Apply:
Priority Application Date: Sunday June 18, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert