Manager, Data Governance (Online/Remote)
- American Public University System
- West Virginia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Computer Sciences & Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Manager, Data Governance (Online/Remote)
Requisition Number: MANAG004246
Location: United States
Manager, Data- Governance
American Public Education, Inc.
The Manager, Data Governance is responsible for managing the data governance discipline that support all Education Units in insuring accessibility, integrity, and confidentiality. The position manages a variety of projects, people, and maintains a deep knowledge of the various data available to, and reported by, the different Education Units. The Manager will be responsible for overseeing master data management, metadata management data stewardship, data quality, reference data management, data compliance, metrics registry, lexicon library, data sharing, and external release protocols. The Manager, Data Governance is a key member of the Enterprise Data Office in the Information Technology department.
- The data governance function includes managing metadata, metrics, and lexicon repositories, measuring data quality, understanding processes creating data, managing master and reference data, facilitating internal data sharing and external data release protocols.
- Data Stewardship: Manage relationships with technical and system data stewards to collect and maintain metadata, metrics, and lexicon.
- Metadata management: Collect data about data including field meaning, data set rules, and other information about data (list of values, etc.)
- Metrics registry: Collect and manage definition of metrics and key performance indicators associated to reports and dashboards
- Lexicon Library: Collect and maintain non-technical terms and abbreviations with their definitions
- Process Understanding: Collect and maintain process lists, their owners, and thus the functional ownership of the data produced by the process
- Data Quality: Create and managed processes to measure data quality of important data elements Using the metadata and knowledge of the process
- Master Data Management: Manage processes and projects associated to implementing systems that brings together data from across the systems to create a “golden record” for the entities within an organization such as student, instructors, courses, etc. These golden records are synced back to all associated systems as data changes for consistency
- Reference Data Management: Manage and collect systems that brings together lists used throughout the organization such as states, countries, colleges, military installations, etc.; cleanse and normalize; and broad cast the reference data back out to the subsequent systems
- Liaise with Compliance and security on data-related
- Compliance with new legislation & regulation
- Work with Chief Information Security Office (CISO) on security related needs including access controls, etc
- Data Processing Addendums (DPA) when received from vendors
- Sharing agreements within the APEI community (Education Units)
- External reporting to entities such as accreditors, HLC, etc
- Release protocols for statistical data for public consumption (such as marketing, etc.)
- Management and Mentoring - Manage, train, and develop a team of analysts that support the Education Units and maintain the data governance policies, procedures, committees, and tools of the organization
- Enterprise Data Office (EDO) Interactions: Works with other departments in Enterprise Data office (Data Engineering), other internal organizations including the to ensure confidentiality, accessibility, and integrity of data and reporting
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Remote or Standard office
- Travel to other offices may be required
- Core business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 5:00pm. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required
- Ability to lift and move equipment weighing up to fifty pounds (50 lbs.)
- Bachelor's degree in finance, engineering, economics, statistics, applied mathematics, data science or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of working with data in governance, reporting, or other data related positions with a preference for previous governance roles.
- 2+ years of experience managing teams
- Clear and professional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and familiarity with SQL and analytical tools such as Power BI and Tableau
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Capable of managing competing priorities within a dynamic business environment
- Proactive and eager to take on additional responsibilities based on needs of the organization
- 2+ years of experience managing data governance teams
- Experience in higher education industry a plus
Online, on campus and in the workplace, we provide higher education and training to our country's heroes - military service members, veterans, nurses, government employees, and motivated professionals that want to make a difference. American Public Education, Inc. educates service-minded students, ranging from the military, public service, federal agencies, and nursing communities, through American Public University System (APUS), Hondros College of Nursing (HCON), Rasmussen University and Graduate School USA (GSUSA).
It is the policy of American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public Education, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Colorado, California, Washington and NYC Pay Transparency Statement
If you are a resident of Colorado, California, Washington or New York City and this role is available remotely, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/b66d4325-6be5-4691-ab44-c96532dee1ff/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=39f10925-d4f8-47a8-b149-f1cc92aed879 jeid-85252a4340a97a44ad5e74a09bcfe6a2
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert