Job Posting Title
Skilled Trades Technician - Construction
A Skilled Trades Technician in construction maintains and updates
campus buildings in order to provide facilities that accommodate
the needs of students, faculty, and staff. Daily responsibilities
include remodeling and new construction projects. Should have a
good working knowledge of tools, materials, and methods used in
general construction, maintenance, and repair work. Projects must
be completed while adhering to given goals, timelines, and
objectives. Must be able to lift at least 50lbs, work overhead,
climb steps, ladders, and scaffolding.
: $15.00 per hour
: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency.
- One year of experience in skilled trades area, e ducation may
be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the
- Must have a current driver’s license.
- More than one year of construction experience
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and drawings
- Experience in sheetrock and metal stud installation
- Experience in concrete forming and finishing
- Experience operating heavy machinery
- Good verbal communication skills
- Ability to do basic computer functions
The start date will be determined after
acceptance of an offer and successful completion of a background
: Review of applications will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Required Application Documents:
- Remodel, repair, and update campus buildings and
- Complete new construction projects, including framing and
- Paint interiors and exteriors of buildings.
- Finish work, including trimming, flooring, and hanging doors,
- Replace and repair suspended ceiling systems.
- Complete sidewalk repair and concrete replacement.
- Adhere to all aspects of project plans and resolve problems
that occur during construction.
- Ensure that all projects comply with applicable codes and
adhere to university standards.
- Establish a safe and secure environment in which to conduct
- Assist electricians, plumbers, and carpenters, as needed.
- Communicate with members of team to ensure project objectives
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Applicants must submit
resume and names and contact information for three professional
references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one
Questions, please contact Dan Disney:
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately
20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on
Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health
care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for
the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent
recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive
Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill
Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking,
running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large
lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and
camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to
Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to
excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60
restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and
very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming,
low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who
call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination
– Fort Hays State University is
an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability
or veteran status.
Final candidate will have consented to and
successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and
your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please
contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
further information on how this might affect you.