- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 17, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Fraternity & Sorority Life Coordinator, Senior
Location: Student Life
Job ID: 607045
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
This position will support the Office of Leadership & Engagement by leading efforts to advise one of our three Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL) councils and serve as a member of the Fraternity and Sorority Life team, supervising a Graduate Assistant and providing support for and oversight of Northern Arizona University fraternity and sorority programs and development with a special emphasis on academic achievement, diversity, social responsibility, and values-based leadership, which contributes to the development, enrichment, and assessment of the University's fraternity and sorority life community.
Additionally, the position will be key in leading our front desk student worker staff. The student workers support key office functions, as the welcoming unit to our space. Supervision of the students supports our goals to develop strong, inclusive, career-ready leaders.
General FSL support - 70%
- Serve as the primary advisor for one of our three Councils representing our Fraternity and Sorority Life community at NAU.
- Serve as the liaison to national organizations that fall under the assigned council.
- Facilitate effective recruitment processes that meet community needs and goals while maintaining alignment with university and council guidelines.
- Advise Order of Omega, the honor society for members of Greek organizations recognizing juniors and seniors who have exemplified high standards of leadership.
- Advise a representative of all three FSL councils at NAU to help facilitate cross council events, philanthropies, Greek week and daily support of siblings in all 28 organizations.
- Oversees risk management policies and compliance requirements for culturally based fraternities and sororities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a system to accurately gather chapter information including new members, officers, graduating members, etc.
- Assist in the development of trainings for newly elected officers.
- Manage Fraternity and Sorority Life social media accounts and aid in development of marketing materials.
- Assist with updating and maintenance of the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
- Develop, administer, and evaluate programs and trainings for students that promote an understanding of and appreciation for the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), directly in line with the department mission and the division of Student Affairs. Collaborate with the Office of Inclusion and support Office of Leadership & Engagement value of inclusion.
Supervision - 10%
- Supervise Dean of Students front desk student workers.
- Oversees and coordinates the day-to-day activities of the student support staff, including hiring and training; scheduling and prioritizing work assignments; and implementation of effective operating policies, procedures, and systems.
- Coordinates a structured feedback process regarding student worker performance and professional development.
Event Coordination - 10%
- Assist with the event registration request process including training new chapter leadership.
- Help coordinate annual recruitment efforts.
- Support all Greek programs including Meet The Greeks, Greek Week and National Hazing Prevention Week.
Other - 10%
- Represent Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Office of Leadership and Engagement at Orientations and Discover NAU events.
- Participate in departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate; committee involvement may include Alcohol and Other Drug, Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Task Force, and Neighborhood Partnership Coalition.
- Develop positive working relationships with other departments
- Convey a service orientation to students, parents, alumni, staff, and faculty.
- Assist with various special assignments within the Office of Leadership and Engagement.
- Assist with training staff in Fraternity and Sorority Life specific policy, procedures, and best practices.
- Occasional evenings and weekends, particularly during the beginning of the semester.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Master's degree in relevant field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience working with and advising fraternities and sororities councils
- Experience with risk management policies and education for student organizations on a collegiate level.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the needs of a diverse student community and a pulse on the changing demographic trends within higher education.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of issues and trends and best practices relevant to fraternities and sororities.
- Knowledge of higher education law, including FERPA, Title IX, etc.
- Knowledge of student conduct, crisis response, and behavior management.
- Knowledge of higher education law as it relates to student organizations and activities.
- Customer service skills.
- Understanding of student development theory.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Communicates effectively.
- Problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $47,634. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
April 20, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607045&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert