Bus Operator - Substitute
- San Joaquin Delta College
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 17, 2023
To operate assigned buses and vehicles to transport students to and from athletic events and field trips; to coordinate the mechanical maintenance and repair of College-owned buses and vehicles; and to perform a variety of tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from an assigned supervisor.
- Operate assigned buses or vehicles to transport students and staff safely to and from athletic events and field trips.
- Coordinate vehicle maintenance and mechanical repairs; contact outside repair companies as needed.
- Inspect college vehicles prior to operation for safety purposes; clean windshields and headlights; clean interior and exterior of college vehicles including picking up debris, sweeping floor and wiping upholstery; service college vehicles with fuel and oil.
- Inspect vehicles for compliance with state regulations including emissions; maintain all fuel and mileage inspection records for College vehicles; maintain daily inspection records forcollege vehicles.
- Maintain appropriate behavior among passengers on buses; follow College policies regarding student control and contact with the public.
- Maintain schedules of transportation needs for various College events.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- California Motor Vehicle Code and the Education Code that apply to the operation of vehicles transporting passengers.
- Safety regulations and safe work practices including safe bus driving procedures and operations.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Basic first aid practices, procedures and techniques.
- Customer service skills.
Ability to :
- Operate assigned busses and vehicles safely and effectively.
- Coordinate and a variety of repairs and preventive maintenance on assigned vehicles.
- Inspect assigned vehicles for safety.
- Maintain a variety of files and records.
- Recognize malfunctions in equipment and report them to campus mechanic for appropriate action.
- Exhibit patience in challenging situations.
- Assure that assigned vehicles are maintained in clean and safe operating condition.
- Read and interpret area maps.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Maintain physical conditioning for the safe operation of a bus; frequent to continuous sitting.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Completion of the twelfth grade or the equivalent.
One year of bus operation experience.
- Possession of or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid Class B, California Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Vehicle Driver’s Certificate, issued by the California Highway Patrol including a valid First Aid Certificate.
- Possession of an unrestricted State Department of Education Driver Instructor Certificate.
- Starting salary negotiable based upon years of experience.
- Overtime and Per Diem offered.
- Accommodations provided for overnight trips.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert