Career Counselor/Student Employment Coordinator
- University of Saint Joseph
- West Hartford, Connecticut
- 48,000-52,000 with benefits
- Posted Date
- Feb 16, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Career Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Career Counselor/Student Employment Coordinator will assist students in making career decisions as well as lead efforts to develop meaningful experiential opportunities for USJ students both on-campus and off. This position will identify and publicize opportunities that enable students to build career-readiness skills and gain work experience while contributing to the campus community, as well as guiding students through choosing a major, identifying internships and jobs, crafting resumes and cover letters, and practicing interviewing for available positions. This position will also be responsible for significant programming for students to develop skills sought by employers across all fields, and to support their career goals. This position will serve all students seeking career counseling assistance via 1:1 appointments in-person, by phone, or via MS Teams. This is a 12-month position with very occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to)
This position will be responsible for any combination of the following tasks:
- Conduct one-on-one career counseling sessions, including conducting career assessment using various instruments, practice interviewing, critiquing resumes, and developing internships and on campus job-search strategies.
- Administer and interpret career inventories.
- Assist students in finding student employment information on-campus and off.
- Participate in the design and delivery of career-related workshops, programs, and panels to assist students in building career-readiness skills.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and university offices to identify opportunities for students.
- Assist with the planning and promotion of the career services office to students, alumni, faculty, and employers through a wide array of marketing efforts.
- Assist in collection, tabulation, and analysis of outcomes information for students and other stakeholders
On-Campus Student Employment
- Design, implement, and assess career and professional development programming and workshops for all on-campus student employees (200+).
- Provide training for all supervisors of student employees to focus on effective supervision and goal setting to promote the professional development of all student employees.
- Provide ongoing support and training (both leadership and professional) for students throughout the application and employment process.
- Coordinate all aspects of student employment including website management, paperwork, data entry, conduct, and training.
- Communicate effectively with USJ faculty and staff regarding the student employment process.
- Update job descriptions online and manage process for students interested in applying for on-campus jobs.
- Approve and market all on-campus job opportunities, ensuring that they meet both USJ and DOL guidelines.
- Meet individually with students and/or supervisors as needed to address any conflicts that might arise.
Experiential Learning Coordination and Tracking
- Individual/group advisement for students interested in experiential learning
- Manage, develop, and advertise the experiential learning career information resources available through the Career Development Center.
- Facilitate placement of students in positions related to their career goals and/or their academic major, monitor students' on-site internships or field placements, and manage documentation for academic credit.
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate records of student information and track all experiential learning opportunities.
- Conduct outreach to current/prospective students to promote benefits of experiential learning.
- Assess the effectiveness and outcomes of the experiential learning process for students.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience in higher education strongly preferred, preferably in Career Development
- Experience with and understanding of the career counseling process and/or on-campus student employment process preferred
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to function independently while operating effectively within a team environment.
- Possess solid general computer skills, including ability to work in a Windows environment. Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Internet, and other programs as needed (e.g., mail merge, data base management). Familiarity with specific applications used by the University/Department a plus.
- Excellent oral and written skills and ability to communicate comfortably with students, colleagues, and external constituents.
- Flexible and able to multi-task.
- Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or employee population.
- Exhibits a high level of professionalism, leadership, creative problem solving, diplomacy, negotiation and sales skills, and the ability to manage complex projects with minimal supervision.
- Professional, courteous demeanor and appearance; ability to work professionally with students, faculty, staff and administration and represent the University professionally to the public.
- Commitment to the mission and core values of the University of Saint Joseph.
- Physical ability to perform essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert