Instructor in Digital Strategy
- Arizona State University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 15, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Public Relations & Advertising
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Instructor in Digital Strategy
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University seeks an instructor to teach courses in its undergraduate and graduate digital marketing and strategy programs.
The Cronkite School is a global leader in mass communications and digital marketing education, offering degrees in digital marketing and strategy completely online. The instructor would teach courses foundational coursework in strategic communication. Courses may include strategic communications research, audience strategy, audience analytics, paid/organic social media, SEO and others. Since the professor will teach within these core courses, knowledge across the discipline—and a passion for nurturing students' learning—is required.
The ideal candidate also has professional experience in strategic communication (public relations, digital marketing, integrated communications, audience analytics and media measurement, social media, crisis communication and/or related areas), and the ability to teach related skills courses as well as conceptual, theoretical and methodological material at the undergraduate and graduate level, in on-campus and/or online modalities. Candidates should have a robust portfolio of their own digital marketing work, and an ability to motivate and help students develop their own.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, 12-month appointment with an academic rank of "instructor." This is not a tenure-track position.
• Teach four courses in each of the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters (two courses per 7.5-week session)
• Foster a learning culture that inspires students with relevant content, tools and techniques.
• Engage in service to students and the Cronkite School, including student mentorship, committee work and guest speaking.
• Serve as a disciplinary thought leader, proactively staying abreast of new digital marketing techniques and technology updates; curating exemplars of superior professional work; and highlighting superb student work.
• Collaborate with school leadership and faculty to develop curricula.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• A master's degree
• Demonstrated professional experience working in digital marketing, digital strategy or a related field.
• Demonstrated experience creating strategic communications content and campaigns for a brand, organization, professional news organization or other media outlet
• Expertise in digital strategy concepts, including goal-setting, audience targeting, funnel strategy, audience measurement and engagement.
• Expertise in campaign measurement and digital analytics in GA4, Google Ads and Meta Business Suite
• Ability to create (and nurture students' abilities to create) digital campaigns for target audiences across social, search and display platforms
• Experience teaching communications technologies and techniques to others
• A network of digital marketers and experts who can advise on the field
• Experience working with undergraduate or graduate students in a university or agency
setting and evaluating student work
• Experience using an online training or learning management system such as Canvas,
Blackboard, Google Classroom, etc.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in both professional
practices and as a contributor to an inclusive working and learning environment
Submission materials must include:
1. A cover letter stating qualifications
2. Curriculum vitae or resume
3. Contact information (name, address, email, telephone number) for three professional
4. A diversity statement that addresses their experience and commitment to social justice,
diversity, equity and inclusion over the course of their careers and outlines how they would advance DEI goals at the Cronkite School. The statement should be no longer than 500 words.
The applicant's name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letters may be addressed to the Search Committee Chair, sr. assoc. dean Jessica Pucci. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: email@example.com
Application deadline is March 31, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled. Applicants must apply online at:
About the Cronkite School
The Cronkite School is widely recognized as one of the nation's premier mass communications programs. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake—accuracy, responsibility, integrity—the school fosters excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
Located on ASU's Downtown Phoenix campus in the heart of the nation's fifth-largest city, the School has 70 full-time faculty members, more than 100 full-time professional staff and annual resources of more than $40 million. The Cronkite faculty is made up of award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications specialists and world-class media scholars. Cronkite professors include five Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, digital media thought leaders, top TV producers and correspondents, major metropolitan newspaper editors and strategic communications experts.
More than 2,500 undergraduate, master's and doctoral students are enrolled at Cronkite, in person and online, preparing for careers in journalism, strategic media and related communications fields. Of the undergraduate residential student population, more than 60% come from out-of-state and more than 37% are students of color. The retention rate consistently exceeds 90%, and Cronkite students regularly lead the country in national competitions.
About Arizona State University
ASU is one of the largest and most innovative public research universities in the country, undertaking a bold reinvention of higher education as a New American University. With four campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, it serves more than 127,000 students on campus and online. For the past six years, it has been ranked No. 1 for innovation by U.S. News & World Report.
In the last decade, ASU has developed numerous new programs and units that bridge disciplinary boundaries to enable the exploration and discovery of new knowledge, while developing practical solutions to serve Arizona and the world at large. The university has strong and simultaneous commitments to educational access, excellence, and impact, and assumes significant responsibility for the cultural, social and economic vitality of its surrounding communities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
(See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.) In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's webpage:
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert