Assistant Professor of Education
- Mary Baldwin University
- Remote, with occasional travel to Virginia campus
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Posted Date
- Feb 13, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Special Education, Humanities, History, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Cooperative & Experiential Education, Distance Education Programs
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Mary Baldwin University invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor in the School of Education, Palmer College of Professional Studies.
MBU is committed, through its mission, to “empowering tomorrow’s inclusive leaders to lead lives of purpose and professional success.” MBU’s School of Education (SoE) is part of the Palmer College of Professional Studies and home to three distinct academic programs that offer a combination of undergraduate and graduate degrees as well as non-degree programs and certificates.
The SoE seeks an innovative teacher educator who has a terminal degree in Curriculum and Instruction in:
- History/Social Sciences OR
- Language Arts/Reading Education OR
- Mathematics Education OR
- Science Education
In addition to the substantive knowledge base in the area(s) of expertise, the demonstration of inclusive education, digital pedagogies, excellent communication skills, along with an enthusiasm and a commitment to lifelong learning are expected. Candidates are required to teach at least eight classes in the online graduate and undergraduate programs at the University. Additionally, this individual will serve our students by ensuring that the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) competencies and CAEP standards are met. This will involve staying up to date with content knowledge and competencies set forth by the VDOE and serving on a SoE CAEP Standard committee(s).
Reporting to the Associate Dean and Director of Palmer College’s School of Education, the Assistant Professor will maintain the academic standards and learning objectives of their program, emphasizing deep comprehension, analysis, synthesis, and application of educational knowledge, and therefore preparing students for successful teaching careers. The instructor will promote inquiry teaching and learning through learning activities that provide students with opportunities to gain broad conceptual knowledge, professional skills and experiences relevant to their discipline, and to transmit and develop new applications of knowledge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Excellence in Teaching and Advising for a Quality Student Learning Experience
- Teach eight courses in the graduate and/or undergraduate programs as well as non-degree programs and certificates (online and residential) within the academic year
- Focus on inquiry teaching and learning in the subject area and across subject areas
- Use of Canvas, a learning management system, to support student learning and student evaluation
- Provide timely and useful feedback to student work
- Be aware of VDOE competencies and apply to coursework where relevant and required
- Be willing and able to academically support ALL students and implement high leverage practices where applicable
- Advise and engage in mentoring of students
- Serve as thesis project chair when requested
University Commitment to Promote Educational Excellence Within the MBU Community
- As an instructor you will support recruitment when needed, become involved in program development, and be aware and implement efforts for student retention
- Participate in University, Palmer College of Professional Studies, and School of Education Committees
- Serve on a CAEP standard team(s) to ensure all aspects of the standard(s) are being addressed, data gathered, and the sharing of data as required
- Be willing to become involved in the creation of new majors, minors or certificates within the education program
- Collaborate with MBU peers on academic strategies or goals that will enhance your instruction, the teaching and learning of our students.
- Adhere to the concepts presented in the annual strategic plan as well as course and program enrollment targets
- If needed/requested, be willing to meet and discuss topics of interest with stakeholders, faculty, and alumni
Commitment to Scholarship that Leads to Growth and Continuous Improvement
- Maintain an active research agenda within your subject area or in an education topic that relates to students and education
- Document research actions that includes speaking engagements, written articles/books, and professional learning taken and or facilitated
- Complete annual reports, sharing your actions throughout the academic year based on excellence in teaching, commitment to the university, and sharing of research along with student evaluations of courses/instruction
- Participate in state and national events and committees
- Candidates will possess a doctorate (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in one of the following areas (ABD will be considered):
- History/Social Sciences Education
- Language Arts/Reading Education
- Mathematics Education OR
- Science Education
- Knowledge of principles and methods for teaching and instruction for individuals and groups.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively convey ideas to students.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a remote environment with minimal supervision.
- Teaching experience specifically with online platforms
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of CAEP and data driven approaches to teacher education.
- Commitment to inclusive learner-centered education, innovative educational models, and readiness to participate in inter-professional education opportunities with the Mary Baldwin University Faculty and Students.
- Demonstrated evidence of engagement in teaching, research, and service that contributes to building and sustaining equitable, diverse, and inclusive communities
- Scholarship and participation in university, community, and professional service is required
This is a renewable 9 month contract, renewing each July.
To apply, submit the following items to email@example.com by March 15th:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications, teaching philosophy, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion across the university;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Names and contact information for three references (include email addresses and current phone numbers);
- Unofficial transcripts (if offered, official transcripts will be required)
The projected start date is August 2023. Review of applications will be ongoing and continue until the position is filled.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert