Exercise Science - Tenure Track Faculty
- Salem Academy and College
- Winston Salem, North Carolina
- Discussed directly with Candidate
- Posted Date
- Feb 13, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Other Health & Medicine
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Salem Academy and College invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Exercise Science. This tenure-track position is scheduled to begin in August 2023. We are seeking a faculty member with undergraduate teaching expertise in exercise science, and scholarly expertise in a field related to exercise science, who will lead the Exercise Science program and also support Salem’s new health-related academic programs. Further, we seek applicants who have a demonstrated commitment to educating a diverse student body and facilitating efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Standard teaching load of seven courses per year, which may include:
- EXER 100: Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science
- EXER 310: Exercise Physiology (with lab)
- EXER 320: Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise
- EXER 330: Measurement, Assessment and Evaluation of Exercise and Sport
- EXER 340: Science of Strength and Conditioning
- EXER 350: ACSM Exercise Physiologist Certification Preparatory Course
One-course release in the first year of employment
Lead the Exercise Science Program, in collaboration with the chair of the division
Support students’ independent studies and advise/mentor students
Engage students in scholarly research
Work on other teaching and learning projects as needs and interests arise
Participate in service to the Exercise Science Program, the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Division, and the College, including committee membership
- PhD in Exercise Science or closely related discipline
- Experience teaching various exercise science courses as the instructor of record within a higher education setting
- Experience mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students Active record and program of scholarship Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and innovation at the undergraduate level, including active learning and engagement of students with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal and English communication skills – in the classroom, with colleagues, in written work, and in listening
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovative projects involving students
- At least three years of undergraduate teaching experience as the instructor of record
- Experience teaching preparatory courses for American College of Sports Medicine certification at an undergraduate level
- Experience teaching undergraduate courses in sport and exercise psychology, fundamentals of coaching, women in sport, or exercise science organization and administration
- Experience with course and curriculum development
While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae; a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement; a statement of teaching philosophy; and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Exercise Science Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled. If you have questions regarding this position, you may email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country. Since 1772, the institution has engaged in transformational change to innovate women’s education. Founded with the mission of making education accessible to all, Salem has a rich 250-year-old history and a long-standing track record of educating students who are prepared to make a bold impact locally, nationally and globally through liberal arts education. Our graduates are committed to making the world a better, healthier and more equitable place. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of health leaders.
U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Rankings, ranked Salem College No. 1 among all National Liberal Arts Colleges in America as a Top Performer on Social Mobility. Our institution has rapidly moved up the national ranking for Social Mobility, from No. 10 in 2020 and No. 4 in 2021 to No. 1 in 2022. Salem College is also ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 2 National Liberal Arts College in North Carolina. Salem has been ranked among the top three National Liberal Arts Colleges in North Carolina for the past seven years. In addition, Salem College was ranked 6th in the nation for college affordability last year.
Salem College is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known as the “City of Arts and Innovation". Winston-Salem is a lively academic community, home to six institutions of higher education and more than 26,000 students. Winston Salem has a collaborative and engaged academic community with strong private and public schools, excellent healthcare systems, and affordable housing. The Winston-Salem area also offers a rich variety of cultural opportunities and has a vibrant art and restaurant scene. Within a few hours of campus are mountains for skiing, camping, or hiking; rivers for whitewater rafting; and the beautiful ports and beaches of North and South Carolina.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert