Custodian II, (Wednesday - Sunday, 6:30am-3pm), Student Affairs, 27395
- University of Missouri Kansas City
- Missouri, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 10, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
University of Missouri - Kansas City, Student Affairs, Auxiliary Services
UMKC Auxiliary Services is accepting application for custodian. This position requires routine, manual work utilizing knowledge of various custodial materials, equipment, methods and procedures used in maintaining a clean, neat and orderly building. In addition to cleaning, this position is required to complete set-up and tear-down for campus events. Some basic audio-visual technical support included. Functional contacts include students, faculty, staff and general public utlizing building facilities.
- Perform miscellaneous duties in the care and cleaning of university buildings: sweep floors with broom and dust mops, empty trash receptacles, clean ash cans, spot wash walls, dust furniture, clean windows, sweep and shovel snow from building entrances, clean drinking fountains, wash blackboard, replenish chalk and other related duties. Clean assigned rooms, halls, entrances, stairways and elevators.
- Prepare rooms for meetings by setting up chairs, tables, stage pieces, and necessary equipment; vacuum carpet, polish metal and order custodial supplies as needed. May be assigned work in areas requiring special use of disinfectants, cleaning techniques and sanitation procedures, i.e. food service service support areas.
- May occasionally perform general housekeeping tasks requiring standing on stools, benches, stepladders or fixed furniture. Reasonable safety standards are to be observed in the performance of work above ground or floor level. May replace light bulbs.
- May wet-mop floors, prepare floors for waxing, apply wax and buff floors.
- Clean and stock restrooms continually through the day: wet-mop floors, clean and disinfect sinks, stools and commodes; clean and polish mirrors, wash walls and restock restrooms with supplies required.
- May perform building security duties such as locking and unlocking doors, checking windows, turning lights on or off, etc., report items that need repair to superior.
- May inform students, employees and the public of housekeeping and facility regulations.
- Because of necessary fluctuations of workloads, an incumbent in this class may be required, on an occasional basis and according to need, to perform duties outside his/her area at a level of skill the same as or lower than required by his/her ordinary assignment. Normal safety requirements, scheduling and the most efficient use of staff and equipment are taken into consideration in such assignments.
A job offer for this position is contingent on passing a physical examination to determine if the candidate possesses the physical capabilities necessary to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and write.
- A valid driver’s license may be required for certain positions.
- One year of general maintenance and/or custodial experience preferred.
- Some knowledge of methods for cleaning equipment and buildings; mechanical ability for minor repair of equipment.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Visualize work area and determine what tasks need to be performed
- Bend, squat, reach, stretch, walk, stand, sit, grasp and twist repeatedly
- Climb stairs, step stools, and ladders; climb and descend stairwells
- Lift, carry, and set down objects of moderate weight (25-50 lbs.)
- Work may include one or more of the following:
- Working in areas of extreme temperatures
- Wearing a backpack vacuum for long periods of time
- Wearing protective mask and hearing protection devices
- Working around dust and cleaning chemicals
- Good physical coordination and mechanical aptitude sufficient to perform assigned duties.
Full-time (40 Weekly Hours), Benefit Eligible
- Health, Vision, Dental
- Paid Time Off: Vacation, Sick Leave, Personal Days, Winter Break (Dec. 25th - Jan. 1st), Federal Holidays
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Tuition Remission (75% Education Discount)*
- Employee-Spouse/Dependent Remission (50% Education Discount)*
Starts at $14.00 per hour
Wednesday - Sunday, 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Applications are reviewed immediately. Apply today!
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work Experience entry on your application. Please carefully review the application instructions section of our Careers page prior to submitting your materials.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
- EEO is the Law English Version
- EEO is the Law Spanish Version
- EEO is the Law Chinese Version
Diversity, equity and inclusion are central to the UMKC mission as an urban-serving institution. Kansas City is a particularly diverse city, including African, African American, Asian, German, Irish, Italian, Latino, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Native American and Slavic communities. Such ethnic diversity, in addition to our thriving neighborhoods of the Westside, Northeast Kansas City and the Eastside, fosters creativity, connection and innovation, which is showcased across the region. Major attractions such as the Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, the Filipino Cultural Center, the American Jazz Museum, Guadalupe Centers and Mattie Rhodes and Kansas City Irish Fest are a small sample of the many ways our diverse city enriches us.
For the reasons enumerated above, UMKC’s strategic plan prioritizes our commitment to multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion. The university’s values call upon its faculty, staff, students and community to position themselves as global citizens who seek out, embrace and celebrate the many benefits of diversity. UMKC received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in 2019 in recognition of our continued commitment to equity and inclusion. Such commitment is demonstrated across teaching, service and research. We welcome applicants to share in our commitment to these core values and know that you will quickly understand the beauty of calling Kansas City your home.
Please visit these pages to learn more about UMKC’s engagement in diversity, equity and inclusion .
Roos Advocate for Community Change
The Division of Diversity and Inclusion
Multicultural Student Affairs
We offer full benefits that start day one, generous paid time off, paid winter break, and continuing education benefits. Visit our Total Rewards page to learn more.
Also, explore the Total Rewards website to learn more about the rewards package we offer to acknowledge our employees as the university's most important r esource.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert