Cyber Defense Analyst
- Stony Brook University
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 10, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Cyber Defense Analyst
Cyber Defense Analyst
Required Qualifications: (as evidenced by an attached resume)
Bachelor's degree. In lieu of the Bachelor's degree, seven  years of directly related full-time experience supporting, installing, or designing IT systems, or a combination of higher education and experience totaling seven  full-time years may be considered. Three  years of full-time experience supporting, installing, or designing IT systems. Experience collaborating with an information security group. Experience implementing or supporting identity management technologies. Experience with Windows, MAC OS, and/or *Nix platforms. Experience with analyzing problems and designing solutions. Experience creating processes and documenting procedures.
Advanced Degree. Additional years of experience supporting, installing, or designing IT systems. An active cyber security certification. Experience tracking down infected computers, working with staff to resolve security issues, and supporting other cybersecurity functions. Experience in a cybersecurity-focused position or department. Experience with servers, switches, routers, firewalls, VoIP, or wireless technologies. Experience with open-source or commercial network monitoring, security, or configuration software packages. Experience with defensive cyber security skills, such as system hardening, malware detection and removal, network packet analysis, host or network firewall configuration, vulnerability analysis, and detection.
Brief Description of Duties:
This position's main focus will be on the day-to-day operation and response to cybersecurity-related incidents and activities, including, implementing and supporting identity and security-related technologies, educating campus personnel, and collaborating directly with students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. The incumbent should be able to communicate with others effectively, successfully work independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem-solving, and will have experience in building positive relationships. The incumbent should possess a willingness to learn and grow professionally and technically.
- Incident Analysis and Manage Tickets: Analyze events of interest. Track down and resolve security incidents. Open incident tracking tickets, and remediate pending tickets, ensuring they are expeditiously addressed and resolved. Create processes to prevent or resolve incidents rapidly. Work closely with stakeholders and our managed security services vendor to close issues. Involved in event triage, incident response, and other reactive daily activities.
- Credential Security: Puts in place the detection and remediation processes for compromised credentials. Looks for and implements identity management improvements and solutions. Implements identity management technologies.
- Threat Monitoring: Monitor the campus computing environment for current and emerging security threats, identifying trends and deciding which threats require further investigation. Prioritize focus and response based on risk, statistics and root cause.
- Documentation: Document procedures used in a repeatable format, analyze current operational procedures and continually make procedure improvements.
- Cyber Security Tools: Support, implement, and research
security-related technologies, such as two-factor authentication
and vulnerability scanning.
Information Security Program: Provide strategic input and support to the Information Security Program through ongoing participation in related working groups, and contributing to the campus' efforts to comply with information security policies, regulations, and industry frameworks.
- Evidence Collection: Assemble digital information in support of legal discovery efforts. Make forensics-quality backups of disk drives, email, and other digital media. Visit University business locations to copy or obtain computers, phones, and other media in a timely and diligent manner.
- Non-Essential: Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and department mission.
The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 30 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. For full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date. If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2300274Official Job Title: Programmer/Analyst IIIJob Field: Information TechnologyPrimary Location: US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area: Division of Information TechnologySchedule: Full-time Shift :Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 - 5:00 Posting Start Date: Mar 13, 2023Posting End Date: Apr 13, 2023, 3:59:00 AMSalary:$85,000-$93,000Appointment Type: RegularSalary Grade:E3 SBU Area:The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
To apply, visit https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2300274&tz=GMT%2B00%3A00&tzname=UTC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert