Executive Assistant to Distinguished Faculty
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 8, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Faculty Affairs, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Deans
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs invites applications for an Executive Assistant to Distinguished Faculty . This position provides executive level administrative staff support to the Distinguished Faculty member in the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs. The position is a key member of the executive staff and plays an integral role in providing efficient and smooth operation of the office, as well as ensuring that academic and administrative information is communicated to faculty, staff, and students of the Wilder School, as well as the larger university community. This position serves as the first point of contact to the Distinguished Faculty and is responsible for making independent, appropriate judgment calls in scheduling appointments, handling confidential calls, data and correspondence, and the coordination of general and highly sensitive academic, fiscal, and administrative information and projects. This position works a minimum of five days a week in person.
The Wilder School's mission is to:
- Engage, teach and inspire students and leaders to understand and solve challenges in our world.
- Advance research that informs public policy and decision-making to improve our communities.
- Collaborate with communities through innovative partnerships to enhance the quality of life.
Our location in Richmond, the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia, combined with our proximity to Washington, DC, provides numerous opportunities for engaged scholarship, teaching and community engagement activities. A creative, interdisciplinary School with both academic programs and training/research centers in the social sciences and professional arenas, we reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, providing students and faculty with the knowledge, skills, opportunities, and experience necessary for success.
For additional information about the Wilder School, please visit our website at https://wilder.vcu.edu/ .
Liaison for Governor L. Douglas Wilder (60%)
Serves as main point of contact for the Distinguished Faculty, L. Douglas Wilder, with department/school chairs/directors, Provost’s office, President’s office, VP offices, faculty, staff, students, parents and other University offices, visitors and VIPs.
- Screens visitors and phone calls and apprises individuals of all matters that require immediate attention.
- Independently respond to verbal, electronic, and written inquiries on behalf of the Distinguished Faculty member using sound judgment and professional discretion.
- Responds to day-to-day inquiries on behalf of the distinguished faculty (e.g. requests for information, complaints, clarification of information, etc.) in accordance with knowledge of and in compliance with School/University policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensures that parties are referred to appropriate channels for response and follow-up.
- Ensures the confidentiality of information in all office matters - reviews and processes mail using discretionary judgment to respond in a comprehensive and timely manner by gathering additional information as needed.
- Develop and implement procedures for expediting the flow of memoranda and other informational material throughout the Distinguished Faculty office and the Wilder School, so that all documents and inquiries are routed through appropriate channels in a timely manner.
- Communicate with internal and external constituencies in support of the Wilder School mission.
- Coordinate and develop correspondence and mass emails for Governor Wilder.
- Serve as a proofreader and make recommendations to improve the content of reports and other written materials.
- Coordinate and prepare drafts of various presentations, materials, and provide weekly reports.
- Collaborate with external audiences and connections (university, state and national) to meet and support the agenda of the Wilder School.
- Assist with special projects, such as Commencement, the Wilder School Symposium, and the Excellence in Virginia Government Awards Program.
- Respond to requests for information relative to meetings, speaking engagements, appointments, and other concerns.
- Assist with the coordination of travel arrangements.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned in support of the Wilder School.
Manages the Distinguished Faculty’s calendar, speaking engagements, events, etc., to include merit reviews, program reviews, faculty searches, department chair/director meetings, annual faculty meetings, special events, conferences, and recruitment, etc.
- Ensures that all materials and briefs are available in advance of appointments.
- Prepares agenda items and related materials for all meetings.
- Collect and organize data required by the Distinguished Faculty, and other senior administrative staff for special reports, speaking engagements, and appointments based on knowledge of subject matter.
- Record minutes at monthly administrative and committee meetings, ensuring accuracy and completeness, and distribute as appropriate.
- Send out school-wide communications, as needed, on behalf of the Distinguished Faculty for providing information about upcoming programs and events.
- Serve as the primary coordinator for day-to-day-activities of the School as directed by the Distinguished Faulty and other senior staff in the office.
Effectively maintain filing system for office including tickler and electronic files so that information is easily accessible and organized in accordance with procedures.
- Ensure that departments are apprised of all deadlines for processes, responses, events, etc., and develops checklists of material received or missing for various programs.
- Work collaboratively with other staff members as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree and substantive experience.
- Must have knowledge of governance and operations at an administrative level.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proven ability to effectively organize and manage timelines and projects to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and exercise sound judgment.
- Substantial experience in fast-paced, complex work environment preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise professional discretion and maintain confidentiality of information required.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
- Ability to articulate and synthesize policy of the Wilder School.
- Experience in planning and coordinating interviews with media.
- Experience in drafting, editing, and preparing professional writing (including letters, memos, meeting minutes, etc.), and disseminating materials through website postings, email, and social media.
- Conduct research, awareness of political issues, and ability to discuss legislation.
- Excellent computer skills – with experience with Google Drive, Microsoft Office Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint. Prefer experience using Millennium.
- Work experience in a key administrative position, preferably in higher education and/or executive level support.
- Knowledge of university policies, procedures, and organization.
- Experience with event planning and coordination.
Physical Demands and Activities (Essential):
Light lifting (<20 lbs.)
Emotional Demands (Essential):
Fast pace/Average pace
Intense customer interaction
Mental/Sensory Demands (Essential):
Application Submission/Other Information
All applications should include a cover letter and a detailed resume with the names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
“Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability”.
Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000
Department: L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
University Job Title/Family: Executive Administrative Assistant 1/General Administration
Job Code: 19111
Contact Name: Tina Braden, Search Chair
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 804-828-1016
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert