- Brown University
- Rhode Island, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 8, 2023
Office of Information Technology
Reporting to the Vice-President of Information Technology/Chief Information Officer the Director of Finance serves as a senior member of the Office of Information Technology (OIT) leadership team responsible for overseeing and managing the finance and budgeting for the department. This position will also have a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Associate Vice President for Financial Strategy and Planning under the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The Director of Finance will be considered an extended member of the Division of Finance and is expected to regularly attend meetings to ensure close alignment between OIT and Finance. In collaboration with the Vice-President of IT/CIO the Director of Finance will play a critical role in providing leadership and participating in short and long-range financial planning, trending, and budgeting. The Director of Finance provides counsel to the OIT senior leadership team through interpretation of actual financial data, development of in-year and future budget projections, and the analysis of actual financial activity and trends. The Director of Finance will be responsible for improving business processes as necessary to ensure the most efficient and productive use of university resources. The Director of Finance represents the Vice President of IT/CIO, as requested, on projects, university committees, and external obligations and in selected vendor negotiations. The Director of Finance will be responsible for managing the OIT Finance team consisting of 4 employees. This position will also develop operating policies and procedures for OIT’s occupied real estate and overall space plan for 5 Providence campus locations. This position requires a detailed-oriented professional with exceptional judgment and discretion, clear and concise communication skills, and deep analytical abilities.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. An MBA or related advanced
- 8 years of progressively responsible financial
leadership/management experience within a complex
- IT finance experience within higher education preferred
- Demonstrated competency in project management of a high volume
of work, some of which is cyclical.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with long range financial
planning, including budget preparation, budget proposals, financial
models and ability to forecast IT operating expenses.
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing financial and budget data, and
policies and procedures in a variety of different situations and
making viable recommendations.
- Experience with financial ERP systems preferred
- Experience with long range planning in the support of IT
- Experience in the development of indirect cost strategies to
resource IT infrastructure preferred
- Familiarity with billing solutions i.e. Pinnacle
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, databases and google
- Sound judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting
finance policies and procedures
- Ability to lead others, serve as a strong manager, and work
well both independently and collaboratively
- Broad range of exposure to various technical environments and
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people with tact and
- Ability to facilitate planning and strategy meetings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the
ability to provide information in a clear and simple manner,
prepare and present financial presentations concisely, and exhibit
- Must be resourceful, adaptable, motivated and able to handle
multiple priorities despite interruptions and short
- Possess a willingness and ability to support a diverse and
A successful completion of a criminal background check and education verification is required.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Office of Information Technology
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert