Extension Area Agent, Agricultural Technology (East Region)
- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 9, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Agriculture & Animal Sciences, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Extension Services, Other Academic Affairs, Business & Administrative Affairs, Technology Administration/Other, Community Relations & Institutional Outreach
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- TITLE: Extension Area Agent for Agricultural Technology
DEPARTMENT: Cooperative Extension Program
REPORTS TO: Regional Extension Director-East Region
LOCATION: Rowan County
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position will Remain Open until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
Internal Candidates are Encouraged to Apply
DEFINITION: Agricultural technologies in this job description include but not limited to agricultural robotics and automation, unmanned aerial vehicles/drones, artificial intelligence, mobile power units, smartphone applications, fluid and electrical power systems, irrigation systems, soil moisture sensors, remote sensing, innovative systems, and agricultural machinery.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Area Agent consults with part-time and limited resource farmers to expand their knowledge of new farming practices with an emphasis on applications of new technologies. The Area Agent provides technology and leadership to improve livestock and crop yields, increase family food production for farm families, and improve economic and social levels. The Area Agent plans and conducts field days, educational meetings, test plots, etc. to enhance and promote county programs. Agents are informal educators presenting research-based, practical and useful information to Kentuckians in face-to-face conversation, by phone, by mail, at meetings, in newspapers, on radio and television, other electronic media, and any other way that people can be reached.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Area Agent will provide supervision by providing and engaging in direct mentorship efforts for new agriculture assistants to build capacity of new assistants that may include: 1) Training in farm on use of farm equipment (plasticulture); 2) How to promote Kentucky State University (KSU) Small Farm Program and other College ag-related events, activities; 3) How to work/collaborate with University of Kentucky (UK) agents; 4) How to collaborate in KSU state staff in grants, projects, etc.; 5) How to facilitate meetings, etc.; and 6) How to coordinate field days and demonstrations. This position will serve all clientele for an equal opportunity to participate in programs regardless of race, gender, age, color, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plan and work cooperatively with other Extension staff and Area Directors in planning, implementing and evaluating small farm projects for socially disadvantaged and small farmers in the Extension Areas. The Area Agent will operate under the guidance of the State Specialist for Small Farms and Part-time Farmers in different fields of agricultural technologies. The Area Agent will operate in cooperation with all county Extension Agents in the respective counties under the guidance of the East Region Extension Director.
- Responsible for planning and implementing technical records to improve the community’s knowledge in terms of modern agricultural technologies especially for socially disadvantaged and small farmers. Leadership to include the delivery of educational programs to improve the family's economic and social levels.
- Responsible for providing information and advice for useful and applicable technologies to improve farm income of socially disadvantaged and small farmers in the areas with special emphasis on advanced agricultural technologies.
- Provide orientation and on-going in-service training for small farms. Coordinate paraprofessional training as needed, for the socially disadvantaged farmers.
- Work with Small Farm Assistants in the delivery of one-on-one- educational programs.
- Primary responsibilities assigned to the needs of the socially disadvantaged outreach training and technical assistance projects.
- Work with Small Farms or Agriculture Agents to develop educational programs and workshops
- Design, implement, and evaluate educational programs in the areas of agribusiness, alternative enterprises, farm management, local food production, and marketing.
- Organize field days, field trials, and demonstrations related to alternative enterprise production.
- Serve as an assistant to state specialist in conducting farm visits, communicating with stake holders, dispersing news about events and upcoming workshops.
- Communicating with small businesses in dispersal of educational materials.
- Working with youth events to educate on animal agriculture and where food comes from.
- Create fact sheets and publishable education materials.
- Assist farmers with farm planning to improve income from agricultural production.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a county plan of work based on locally identified needs.
- Provides technology and leadership to improve livestock and crop yields, increase family food production for farm families, and improve economic and social levels.
- Identifies and recruits program participants.
- Conducts demonstrations and meetings to educate farming public in new technology and practices related to agriculture.
- May supervise assistants, students, or volunteers.
- Recruit volunteers and create advisory council to help identify local issues and needs for Small Farmers and producers in service area.
- Maintain a system for reporting clientele information and generate reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish methods and plans to promote programs and reach diverse and underrepresented audiences’ representative of the service area including Limited English Proficient individuals.
- Serve as link between researchers and specialists and the local communities served.
- Provide direct mentorship efforts and training for new agriculture assistants.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural engineering, agricultural education, or a related field.
- One to three years of experience in related field preferred. Must have own transportation.
- Evidence of the ability to understand the needs of socially disadvantaged (minority) and low-income farm families.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Experience with agricultural technologies.
- Knowledge of agriculture and local food production.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software packages.
- Knowledge of data presentation and organization methods and techniques.
- Ability to maintain concise and accurate records.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work well in teams.
- Ability and understanding of the Land Grant mission and vision, University policies, procedures and objectives in planning and conducting Extension programs.
- Knowledge of federal and state agricultural agencies.
- Work could involve some exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Requires some standing or walking.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Extensive travel required.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform. The College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences strives for inclusive excellence and is interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to this effort through their research, teaching, and/or Extension programs
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert