- Union College (NY)
- Schenectady, New York
- Posted Date
- Feb 8, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Purpose: In partnership with student and academic affairs leadership and fellow class deans, advises students for a designated undergraduate class and leads or co-leads programs that promote students’ academic and personal development. Supports students in their progress meeting their educational goals and graduation requirements.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Student Advising: Advises students one-on-one and in groups providing personal and academic advising to meet their educational goals and graduation requirements. Collaborates with advisers, faculty, residential life staff, and other offices to guide, track, and coordinate student progress and support. Promotes the support and retention of students. Provides programming for students aimed at helping them find success in their current class year, and encourages career growth and development. Programming: Serves as a member of the Student Affairs Dean team and contributes to setting direction for the department. Leads or co-leads student affairs initiatives and student-centered activities, such as work with transfer students, and/or connections with athletics. Team Collaboration, and Innovation: Contributes to and supports team initiatives, projects, communications, and other activities, sharing input and ideas to improve and enhance intended outcomes. Collaborates with campus partners in responding to and managing student and campus-wide challenges and crises. Offers to pitch-in to help colleagues during crunch times and overlapping deliverables. Additional duties: Serves in the Dean on-call rotation as necessary. Participates on various campus teams, committees, and working groups, such as the CARE support team to review students of concern. Supervises administrative assistants in partnership with fellow Class Deans.
- Master’s degree plus eight to ten years of higher education administration and/or classroom teaching experience, and/or a comparable combination of relevant education, training, certifications, and/or work experience. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to be impartial and establish rapport with a diverse range of campus community members. Able to support, contribute to, and strengthen a vibrant, culturally diverse, and inclusive learning community of students, alumni, faculty, and fellow professionals. Able to anticipate, deliver on, and exceed the expectations of students and colleagues. Able to introduce and drive innovation in ways small and large. Able to collaborate effectively with Union colleagues to achieve shared goals and objectives. Able to proactively identify and pursue relevant learning and professional development opportunities and apply new knowledge, insights, and skills to enhance student advising.
The annual salary range for this position is $90,000.00-94,000.00. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
We offer exceptional benefits including:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert