Financial Aid Compliance Specialist, Missoula College
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 8, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs, Grants & Contracts, Student Affairs, Financial Aid
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
Financial Aid invites applications for a Compliance Specialist to serve as the financial aid representative located at the Missoula College (MC) campus. The Compliance Specialist will serve as the lead for determining financial aid eligibility for the Missoula College transfer and other specialized student populations and programs. This position will provide quality information, service and complete financial options to make the college enrollment process as efficient, accessible and student centered as possible.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serves as the financial aid presence at various events and presentations, as well as Financial Aid representative and liaison for Missoula College Campus committees, boards, etc..
- Ensures that the Financial Aid Office meets standards set forth by the Department of Education for the administration of federal Title IV and state aid programs, particularly those related to the MC, transfer and specialized programs.
- Assesses existing practices and controls and makes needed workflow and/or policy changes as required by federal and state regulations.
- Provides guidance and training to the financial aid office staff members on aid processes and policies.
- Ensures consistency and quality in the administration of financial aid programs.
- Evaluates files, which includes verification of applicant data, determining grade level, analyzing need, awarding or revising aid and using professional judgment to identify discrepant information and make adjustments in response to special circumstances and appeals.
- Trains and supervises one Administrative Associate II and all student workers at the Missoula College financial aid office location.
- Assists Associate Director of Customer Care with staff selection and evaluation.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate complex policies to clientele and staff.
- Mathematic/accounting skills and great attention to detail.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing job demands.
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with other team members.
- Comfortable using multiple software/database applications.
- Familiarity with Financial Aid regulations, policies and procedures (Title IV, State and Institutional) and be able to effectively conduct web-based research.
- Demonstrated ability in analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to be granted access to federal aid databases, meaning cannot be in default on any federal loans.
- High school diploma and five (5) years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of federal and state aid regulations and UM policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Ellucian Banner’s Financial Aid Module.
- Strong time management skills, with particularly attention to federal/state deadlines.
- Able to use COD, FAA Access, NSLDS, Microsoft Suite.
- Proficiency in utilizing state, regional and national training materials, e.g. listservs, blogs, newsletters, databases, etc.
- Ability to research, analyze and interpret and implement policy/procedural changes in response to federal, state and institutional regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of experience in financial aid administration with a demonstrated progression of responsibility.
We, the staff of the financial aid office, in order to support the educational goals of students, equitably distribute financial resources to an economically diverse population within the bounds of imposed regulations, providing a depth of service corresponding to the needs of our community.We strive to build the reputation of the university by being courteous, knowledgeable and approachable to all. We endeavor to effectively use technology and continually seek to improve our communication and processes. We embrace each staff member’s strengths, creating a positive environment where all can thrive.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana and Missoula please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
Position Title: Compliance Specialist
Position Number: 005520
Department: Financial Aid
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through
Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Salary: $20.794/hr Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: Montana Federation of Public Employees (MFPE)
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial
tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9). Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online through the UM Jobs website directly to ensure your complete application is received. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert