French Horn Teacher- Faculty Adjunct
- Phillips Exeter Academy
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Art, Music, Other Arts, Performing Arts, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Arts Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Applications will be accepted through April 1, 2023.
Starting in the 2023/24 school year, the music department seeks a passionate and energetic part-time teacher of French horn. The ideal candidate will have a substantial background instructing horn students teaching from a broad repertoire. We will value candidates who can effectively build solo artistry as well as the musical and ensemble skills required to successfully work with ensembles. We seek colleagues interested in being part of a team of more than 40 music instructors who work with highly motivated high school students in a diverse, mostly residential community.
This is a part-time, nine-month position with some evening and weekend work as needed. Hours vary according to the size of studio roster and the needs of the students and the Academy.
- Teach weekly private lessons (45 minutes each) to high school French horn players from beginner to advanced levels.
- Create a weekly schedule for private lessons and communicate with students regarding schedule changes. Maintain accurate rosters, monitor student attendance, enter grades and comments in a timely manner according to the Academic Advising Calendar.
- Understand the Academy’s calendar and daily schedule; effectively use Academy systems for communication and course management.
- Work with students to set goals for private lessons, select appropriate repertoire, help students procure music. Instruct students in technique, musicianship, and practice strategies; assess and support musical development, provide appropriate performance opportunities.
- Communicate student issues or concerns with Department Chair and/or student’s advisor or parents when necessary.
- Prepare students for recitals, masterclasses, competitions, college admission recordings, ensemble music and other needs.
- Engage with diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression work specific to the music department.
- Collaborate with colleagues on faculty performances as interested/available.
- Participate in department meetings and other forms of shared governance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life
B.A. or B.M. or equivalent experience is required. A Master’s degree in music is preferred.
3+ years of successful private studio teaching experience.
3+ years of professional performing experience.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent studio teaching ability. Ability to teach technique, repertoire, and musicianship to French horn students from beginner to very advanced levels.
- Ability to create a positive and productive learning environment for high school age students.
- Capacity to teach a variety of styles and genres from a diversity of backgrounds, especially artists from historically marginalized identities.
- Enthusiasm for working with adolescents.
- Commitment to working in and serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community.
- Diversity or cultural competency education (conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study).
- Willingness to enforce all school policies and rules governing student behavior.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check and DMV check when applicable.
- COVID Vaccine Policy: Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members without a medical or religious exemption to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert