Administrative and Project Specialist
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Other Business & Administrative Affairs, Conference & Special Event Administration, Student Affairs, Other Student Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Administrative and Project Specialist is responsible for coordinating the Associate Vice President’s (AVP) office operations, administration, calendaring of programs/special events, fiscal reconciliation, and assessment and reporting, and completion of assigned projects. The Administrative & Project Specialist will process and reconcile fiscal transactions of numerous budgets and oversee the currency and administration of student in collaboration with the AVP for Campus Life. This position supports the portfolio of units under the AVP for Campus Life, large scale events, Spartan Speaker Series, major programming committees, project budgets, assessment of events, and technology support of the SJSU Sammy App. The position further assists with a broad range of programs that support student engagement in academic, social, spirit, social justice and cultural events under the AVP for Campus Life. In addition, the position will coordinate office functions for the current location within the Student Union as well as greet guests seeking assistance from the AVP’s or items related to campus engagement and events.
- Responsible for planning and evaluating periodic and on-going projects.
- Plans, develops and implements large scale and high-profile meetings, conferences, workshops and events – from inception to fruition and assessment.
- Responsible for researching, creating, developing, and distributing printed and electronic information that showcases trends and best practices.
- Responsible for management of budgets and grant funds. Processes transactions and oversees accounts payable/receivable for multiple budgets and grant funds. Recommend fiscal plans, ensuring alignment with AVP Office goals and compliance with regulations. Coordinates efforts with campus and external agencies and the Student Affairs Division’s Centralized Fiscal Operations unit:
- Monitors and reconciles budget, troubleshooting discrepancies. Interfaces with all levels of staff and agencies on fiscal initiatives and with Division/University professionals in processing/maintaining budgets and supporting them in their analysis and fiscal strategic planning.
- Develops budget projections and forecasts based on thorough research and interpretation of guidelines.
- Compiles monthly, mid-year and year-end reports and develops projected budget based on AVP fiscal/strategic plan. Recommending policy changes as necessary.
- Arranges meetings, conferences and workshops, many large-scale events.
- Represents and serves as a representative of the AVP at committee meetings, webinars and video conferences, when requested.
- Conceptualize and design presentations for campus meetings and presentations.
- Develops and establishes areas’ office procedures, record-keeping and policies. Provides policy interpretation.
- Knowledge of the university infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Thorough mastery of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Advanced knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, graphic design.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn a variety of SJSU specific applications: Common Finance System (CFS), Financial Transaction Services (FTS) and MySJSU.
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Ability to perform business math and analyze budgetary data.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to manage large-scale events and programs.
- Ability to lead various committees through complex development of events.
- Ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and handle highly sensitive interpersonal situations.
- Ability to research, develop, analyze, implement, and evaluate policies and procedures.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Three years of administrative work experience
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Microsoft Office, calendaring, databases, and spreadsheets
- Experience planning large events or projects
- Experience working with various campus partners that work with Campus Life units
- Experience in a high student functions unit
- Experience tracking multiple budgets and accounts
- Customer service experience in a Higher Education environment
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,014/month - $5,350/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,170/month - $7,545/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: February 06, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert