- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Department: Custodial Services
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 4:30pm-1:00am
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 02/06/2023
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS114P
Pay Rate: $18.18 per hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape. Vassar College is deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented groups. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus. Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
There is one Janitor position available for this posting. The Janitor maintains the cleanliness levels in campus facilities providing an environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and living; and supports college programming by performing numerous event set-ups, break downs and moves.
- Performs general cleaning including but not limited to restrooms, bathrooms, public spaces, classrooms, offices and locker/shower rooms. Student rooms are cleaned annually.
- Performs floor care tasks including but not limited to vacuuming, mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing and carpet shampooing; and performs operator maintenance on equipment.
- Uses light and heavy commercial type floor machines and attachments.
- Performs set-ups and break downs for college events.
- Moves heavy furniture, supplies and miscellaneous equipment as requested.
- Collects trash and recyclable material.
- Shovels snow from steps and walks, including days when the College is closed due to inclement weather.
- Changes light bulbs, except specialized conditions.
- Inspects fire extinguishers monthly.
- Overtime, including responding to after-hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Schedule- Monday-Friday 4:30pm-1:00am
- One (1) year experience in the maintenance and care of facilities in a similar environment is required.
- Ability to move, position, transport and place objects up to and including 75 pounds is required.
- Ability to work, ascend and descend on ladders and use a Genie lift is required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing is required.
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/3062.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert