Website and Digital Communications Manager (18678)
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 6, 2023
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
About the Department/Unit
The SIS Communications & Marketing team sits at the intersection of interesting stories and highly engaged audiences. Our job is to present these stories in the most compelling possible ways across the broadest spectrum of digital channels. We are a creative group committed both to measurable results that forward the school’s goals and to job satisfaction at the individual level based on opportunities to create, innovate, and iterate.
The Website and Digital Communications Manager is a member of the Communications and Marketing team at American University’s School of International Service (SIS) and assists in developing and maintaining the school’s online presence.
Website and Digital Communications Manager is integral in ensuring that SIS’s website meets high standards of accuracy, relevance, readability, user experience, SEO, and accessibility (Section 508 compliance). They use tools to regularly audit the site to update outdated content and improve user experience. They work closely with multiple stakeholders within SIS and across the university to establish and maintain web protocols and content freshness and accuracy. They produce thoughtful analytics reports to help define areas of opportunity across the website.
The Website and Digital Communications Manager reports to the Director of Digital Platforms. They work closely with the academic programs in SIS and with other offices and units at SIS. The Manager works collaboratively with other university units, including University Communications and Marketing, the Office of Information Technology, and other staff at AU.
- SIS Website and SharePoint sites: The Website and Digital Communications Manager works under the oversight of the Director of Digital Platforms to develop, update, and maintains the school’s online presence and track online metrics. Additionally, the Website and Digital Communications Manager maintains SIS sites on SharePoint, an internal communication platform for faculty and staff. The Manager will serve as the primary back up for web administration at SIS. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Manage the continuous workflow of website updates and improvements, including responding to requests from across the school. Work in conjunction with the Director of Digital Platforms for redesigns/restructuring requests. Add and update content on the website, including text, photos, and multimedia. Utilize Site Improve accessibility and SEO scans to enhance, and improve webpages, navigation, and user experience across all units and programs at SIS. Identify updates and ways to refine current content to be SEO-optimized. Ensure accuracy, correct branding, design standards, and consistency across the website.
- Digital Communications and Multimedia: The Manager provides internal support for other digital platforms, including Engaging Networks, EMS, Adobe, YouTube, Mailchimp, and Canva,, including: Prepare/update user guides for platforms listed. Research and advise on new digital tools and applications for SIS. Create and maintain archival systems for digital content, including stories, photos, video, and audio files. Occasionally assist with the production of videos and other multimedia content. Assist Director of Digital Platforms in administering AU-server hosted video and the SIS YouTube channel. Monitor multimedia use and digital communications by competitors. Map communications via web touchpoints with prospective graduate students to ensure cohesion and accuracy (e.g., Alive Chat bot and social media chat bot automatically generated responses for common questions).
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full-Time, 35 hours/week.
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B.
- This position has a hybrid work modality.
- This is a union-eligible position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Web Design, Marketing, Communications, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Proven understanding of the web environment with the ability to enhance and maintain branding and accessibility compliance.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and manage relationships with various internal constituencies.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to prioritize workload.
- Knowledge of SEO and web accessibility.
- Close attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills including Adobe Dreamweaver, HTML5, CSS, and other current tools required to fulfill web content responsibilities.
- Experience managing an organizational website on an institutional CMS.
- Experience with Google Analytics .
- Master's degree.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience.
- International affairs, higher education, or non-profit communications background a plus.
- Experience with Canva and other Adobe products
- Experience with e-newsletter systems such as Mailchimp or Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Experience with various online measurement and assessment platforms and tools outside of those listed above (e.g., CrazyEgg, social media analytics).
- Experience with SEO tools, such as SiteImprove.
- Experience with Google Data Studio.
- Experience with SharePoint or other organizational Intranet solution .
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn more about our health and safety directive .
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options .
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert