Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents, Deans, Executive, Chancellors & Presidents, Other Executive, Provosts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor
The University of Hong Kong (HKU) seeks a visionary and dynamic academic leader to serve as its next Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (“Provost”).
HKU is consistently ranked amongst the world’s top universities: 21stunder QS World University Rankings 2023, and world #1 most international university under Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022. The University is celebrating its 111thanniversary this year with pride and an outlook for transformative breakthroughs, innovations and global impact. The next Provost will join at a time of exceptional opportunities to provide forward-looking and energetic leadership to bring HKU to its next level of educational and academic pre-eminence.
Home to ten disciplinary Faculties (Architecture, Arts, Business and Economics, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science, and Social Sciences), HKU is committed to fostering interdisciplinary exchange across diverse subject expertise to address global issues impacting humanity in the rapidly changing world. To create a hub for innovative thinking, learning, teaching, research and entrepreneurship, the University is establishing ten institutes with state-of-the-art infrastructure, dedicated to strategic research and interdisciplinary studies in the emerging fields such as artificial intelligence (AI), big data, smart materials, quantum science and biomedical engineering, etc.
The University has also embarked on a number of ambitious infrastructure projects such as the Pokfield Campus, home to an academic-cultural-sports complex comprising a dedicated building to host the HKU Business School; the state-of-the-science transformation of the Medical Campus; new initiatives in Shenzhen; the Tech Landmark project (to be completed in 2024) which will host the ten institutes; the Global Innovation Centre to host world class laboratories for research and deep tech; and other facilities required for recruiting and nurturing talents.
Reporting to the President & Vice Chancellor (“the President”), the Provost will:
- act as the President’s most senior partner in moving forward the strategic planning and development of the University;
- supervise and work closely with the Vice Presidents/ Pro-Vice-Chancellors and the Deans of the Faculties to realise the University’s development plans and transformation initiatives;
- empower student and faculty achievements through leadership, strategic planning, policy development and oversight of the academic enterprise;
- oversee the ten Faculties and academic support/student affairs functions, aligning and integrating unit-specific priorities and plans with the strategic direction of the University at large;
- provide leadership and vision in planning, developing and implementing academic programs and ensure quality and growth of educational offerings;
- formulate policies to attract, retain, and develop outstanding academic talents and to recruit quality students;
- play a major role in the budgeting and allocation of University resources for the University’s academic programs and related operations, stewarding the management of academic resources;
- nurture creativity, innovation, collaboration and excellence in teaching and learning, scholarship, research and knowledge exchange;
- cultivate productive partnerships and professional networking with broader stakeholders locally, regionally and internationally;
- solidify a commitment to inclusion, diversity and well-being of the academic community; and
- act as the officer in charge when the President is unavailable.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- a record of building academic excellence as a proven academic leader at the department/ division/ faculty/ school/ college, or university level;
- a distinguished record of academic achievements;
- ability to undertake strategic planning and resource management, including budgetary, human resources and infrastructural matters;
- experience in managing complex changes and reforms in an academic environment;
- vision and global outlook, and ability to amass and align support for one’s vision;
- a good understanding of the local, regional and global environments where the University positions itself and brings impact; local exposure is an advantage but not essential;
- creative, analytical, and pragmatic ability to translate principles and ideas into action;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills: can communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including staff, students, alumni, the community, etc.;
- highest standards of integrity: a person of high ideals and principles; and
- a collegial, consultative, yet decisive management style.
Nominations and Applications
The position will be filled on a full-time, five-year contract basis with the possibility of renewal. HKU has retained Perrett Laver, an executive search firm, to assist with this important search. For more information, to submit a nomination, or to apply for this role, please visit the link below. Review of nominations and applications will continue until the post is filled.
Bing HAN, Managing Partner
Gary TANG, Research Associate
The University is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equality, ethics, inclusivity, diversity and transparency.
Advertised: Dec 19, 2022 (HK Time)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert