PATIENT SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE I (UT Health RGV Pediatric Specialty)
- University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 3, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Health Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
PATIENT SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE I (UT Health RGV Pediatric Specialty)
Posting Number: SRGV6496
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Clinical Affairs
Scope of Job:
Responsible for greeting and registering patients in a caring and warm manner, handle in-coming patient telephone calls, scheduling appointments, handling patient queries, collecting and obtaining accurate insurance information, and time of service collections as required.
Description of Duties:
- Acts as the first point of contact for patients in the clinical setting and provides high-level customer service consistently to both internal and external customers, while upholding UT Health RGV’s mission, values, and promoting service lines.
- Accurately and completely registers patients by obtaining patient demographic information, while maintaining patient confidentiality in according with HIPAA guidelines.
- Responsible for scheduling, rescheduling, and cancelling all patient appointments as needed and when appropriate to maximize patient flow and clinic efficiency.
- Responsible for answering incoming calls in a professional, timely manner, ensuring caller’s needs are met and accurate information is relayed and obtained.
- Completes reminder calls as needed; greets incoming patients and visitors in person or on the telephone and promotes active listenings responsively to patient concerns or complaints and provides or seeks appropriate remedies while promoting quality care.
- Check’s in and check’s out patients through the appropriate appointment workflows, including verifying patient insurance eligibility, scanning all necessary identification into the EMR system, and ensuring completion and accuracy of patient registration forms.
- Performs all necessary daily check-in and checkout tasks as required for reconciliation purposes, including next day preparation of charts, deposit reconciliation, and charge entry.
- Maintains patient confidentiality regarding access to patient and other clinical information via email, computer, fax, and mail.
- Verifies patient insurance eligibility and benefits through various payers, including commercial insurances, Medicaid, and Medicare.
- Obtains the necessary prior authorizations, referrals, and other insurance documentation needed for all visits as required by the insurance carrier.
- Performs all Time-of-Service collections including collecting copays, deductibles, and outstanding balances due on the account.
- Educates the patient/responsible parties regarding billing processes, financial responsibilities, third party benefit information and, provides estimates of out-of-pocket costs to patients.
- Establishes payment plans for outstanding balances and prepayment plans for future services; refers patients to Financial Counselors and screens for charity programs when appropriate.
- Answers frequently asked questions regarding clinic services and appointment related information and is seen as a source of knowledge to both internal and external customers and knows when to escalate questions and concerns.
- Demonstrates respectful, courteous, professional, and appropriate behavior that represents the core values of UT Health RGV and supports the image, mission, and goals of the clinical enterprise.
- May be required to provide coverage at various clinical sites as needed.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned support staff.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Completion of Medical Office Specialist certificate program or Medical Administrative Assistant or closely related.
Six (6) months of medical front-office, and/or receptionist experience in patient registration, scheduling, providing customer service, and/or insurance verification and eligibility experience or two (2) years of direct customer service.
Previous experience with insurance verification and eligibility with scheduling in a high-volume environment. Experience obtained in healthcare setting.
Use of standard office equipment. Exceptional computer experience and skills required. Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Office Suite, and ability to navigate an EMR system.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office/Clinical Environment; some travel and weekend work may be required. May be exposed to airborne illnesses when encountering patients. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Must be able to sit for long periods of time. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Travel between clinical sites as needed.
Tact, diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality of medical information required in all matters.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 02/06/2023
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/37239 jeid-cd3d508a10fa1846b5fb95772e30e6b6
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert