Senior District Accountant
- Peralta Community College District
- Oakland, California
- $7,519.03 - $9,548.75/mo.
- Posted Date
- Feb 3, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Peralta Community College District
Senior District Accountant
Salary Range: $7,519.03 - $9,548.75/mo. Hiring Range: $7,519.03 - $8,265.18 /Mo - The maximum initial placement is Step 3 depending on experience
Application Deadline Date: Open until filled
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/6653
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, performs professional accounting duties of a difficult and responsible nature requiring the application of established accounting principles and practices to a wide variety of technical and management accounting and fiscal problems. Collaborates with and coordinates the activities of a small unit engaged in processing accounting and other related functions.
Duties & Responsibilities
Anyone position may not include all of the duties listed nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
• Coordinate the activities of a small unit engaged in processing accounting documents, maintaining accounting records, preparing accounting statements and reports, and other related functions.
• Performs moderate to advanced technical accounting work in the administration and maintenance of assigned funds and accounts; balances and reconciles accounts against the general ledger; monitors and prepares periodic reports on assigned funds and expenditures; detects and resolves discrepancies in accounts and financial reports; develops standard and non-standard reports and statements; as assigned, initiates draw-down for federal and state grant monies to reimburse District departments; conducts expenditure analysis and audits to ensure full reimbursement to the District costs in connection with special fund expenditures.
• Prepares key statements such as balance sheets, income statements, source and application of funds statements, reports for assuring compliance with laws and regulations affecting the expenditure of funds, reports for controlling the budget, and reports on the status of obligations and expenditures.
• Reconciles open accounts receivable with the general ledger on a periodic basis.
• Devises and maintains control and summary accounts and affects reconciliation with subsidiary ledgers and records.
• Analyzes accounting and reporting requirements of programs funded through a variety of sources including grants and establishes appropriate monitoring procedures and accounting methods.
• Maintains accounting books and records in the college’s accounting system (PeopleSoft) and files for grant and categorical programs.
• Conducts cost comparisons and analysis and develops cost expenditure data for use in budgetary and management analysis and planning.
• Analyzes complex accounting and financial data, identifies and determines causes of discrepancies, recommends corrective and preventative measures.
• Reviews accounting documents to ensure accurate information and calculations and make original and correcting journal entries; examines supporting documentation for accuracy and completeness and to ensure proper authorizations; prepares and maintains general ledger and subsidiary accounting records.
• Devises accounting and fiscal forms and procedures within assigned area of responsibility.
• Reviews and assists in the development of changes and revisions to accounting systems and procedures affecting the assigned area of responsibility.
• Prepares complex periodic and special accounting statements and reports.
• Assist grant/program managers with expense reclassifications, especially at year-end close. Prepares appropriate accrual and deferred revenue entries at year-end.
• Utilizes computerized systems in the processing of accounting and financial data
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in accounting, business administration, finance, public administration, or related field.
• Five (5) years of experience in the preparation and maintenance of (public sector) accounting and budgetary records, including two (2) years at the Senior Accountant level; or an equivalent combination of training and/or qualifying experience that could likely provide the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position
• Knowledge of and ability to apply governmental accounting and auditing principles, practices, and procedures.
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
• A valid Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License.
• Experience in California Community College and/or K-12 systems.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to speak and write effectively.
• Occasional work performed alone
• Constant work around and with people
· Highly detail-oriented
· Affinity for working with figures
· Skilled in arithmetic calculations
· Occasional standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and climbing stairs
· Occasional lifting and carrying up to 15 lbs.
· Occasional pushing and pulling up to 20 lbs.
· Occasional twisting of the body
· Occasional use of manual dexterity
· Occasional use of tactile acuity
· Occasional use of visual acuity from a distance, with depth, and for color
· Frequent work at a rapid pace
· Frequent reaching, high, low, and level
· Frequent audio acuity at all ranges, including speech
· Frequent visual acuity for reading
· Constant sitting
· Constant use of clear oral communication
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert