Student Success Advisor II - College of Business
- University of Central Oklahoma
- Oklahoma, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 3, 2023
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, list of professional references, and transcripts from all universities attended.
All full-time staff employees receive up to three weeks of paid time off as well as paid time off for University holidays (including three days for Thanksgiving break, a week for winter break and a week for spring break). We also offer health, vision, and dental insurance, tuition waiver, etc.
Advises students concerning an appropriate academic schedule, choice of major and/or minor, number of hours that may be taken, probation, and/or suspension. Guides students in matters related to academic goals, course load, and study habits. Assists with the college of business and campus events such as orientation, departmental promotions, and back-to-school events. Completes documents such as graduation forms and study abroad degree evaluations. Evaluates and/or updates student records to post grades, performs graduation checks, monitors student progress, and advises students on an appropriate plan of study. Develops and/or completes college/school documents such as classroom assignments, plans of study, curriculum guides, graduation forms, and study abroad documentation. May assist with the recruitment of prospective students. Performs work under minimal supervision. Handles complex issues and problems. The general schedule for this position is 40 hours a week, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Department Specific Essential Job Functions:
- Counsel students regarding academic endeavors.
- Provides guidance to students in the selection of a major and/or minor.
- Evaluates student records and completes degree evaluations for individual students and student groups and articulates coursework, as needed.
- Assists in the development and implementation of student success and retention programs, initiatives, materials, and events.
- Acts as a resource person for academic information and decision-making strategies.
- Makes policy recommendations to their direct supervisor.
- Acts as a liaison between the College of Business departments, campus community, and business students.
- Helps students find transformative co-curricular activities that provide opportunities for leadership; research, creative, and scholarly activities; service learning; global and cultural competencies, and health and wellness.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Counseling, Education, or related field or 4+ years of equivalent work experience in a chosen field that provides knowledge of and exposure to fundamental theories, principles, and concepts.
Master's degree in a related field. 3+ years of prior academic advising/counseling experience. Familiarity with admission and enrollment process in an institution of higher education setting and its undergraduate degree programs. Knowledge of Ellucian Banner and Microsoft Office products.
Preference will be given to otherwise qualified internal candidates.
Knowledgeable in the higher education attainment process, particularly the requirements and general value of education. Demonstration of a warm and caring professional attitude and creative counseling techniques. Ability to communicate effectively with department chairpersons and/or deans regarding degree program requirements. Ability to work well under pressure. Understanding of the University policies and procedures as they relate to academic advising. Ability to maintain databases.
Will this employee supervise others?
Possibly student workers but no full-time staff member.
Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert