- City Colleges of Chicago
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 3, 2023
HUMANITIES/ WRITING TUTOR
Harold Washington College
Student Success is our #1 Priority! Harold Washington College supports students in their classes through peer, professional, and embedded tutoring. Harold Washington College is currently seeking a p art-timeHumanities/ Writing Tutor. This position is responsible for bridging the gap between the college and the needs of the student. This position also helps students make academic progress, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment and enjoy working with students, consider joining our team.
WE ARE SEEKING TUTORS FOR:
- Writing / Reading (English, Literature, Linguistics, Speech)
- Philosophy (Logic, Intro, Ethics, Aesthetics, Social/Political)
- Psychology (General Psych, Child Psych)
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored.
- Conducts student outreach to promote tutoring services.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by faculty/ staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Collaborate with instructors through embedded tutoring to enhance student understanding of course material and increase student engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in higher inHumanities, English Language and Literature, Creative Writingor similar fields of study.
- Specific additional requirements or certifications may be required depending on the assignment area.
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the postsecondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Possess excellent communication skills, and the ability to work with a diverse student body.
- Must be self-directed and able to complete assignments in a timely manner.
- This position will be scheduled up to 29 hours per week. This is an in-person role.
- Must be open to working evenings (Monday- Thursday 5-7pm)
and weekends (Friday and Saturday 11am-3pm).
Harold Washington College , located at 30 East Lake Street in Chicago's Loop, is a student-centered institution that empowers all members of its community through accessible and affordable academic advancement, career development and personal enrichment. At HWC, employees contribute to the success of our students while enjoying competitive compensation and outstanding benefits packages. Build your future at City Colleges of Chicago and ensure more students complete their curricula - college-ready, career-ready and prepared to pursue their life’s goals. This is an exciting time in the history of City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), District 508, the largest community college system in Illinois and one of the largest in the nation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert