- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 2, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Location: Student Accounts
Job ID: 606918
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- This position will occasionally be expected to work outside of
normal working hours.
The Accountant is a Lead Cashier position in the Student & Departmental Account Services. This position oversees the cashiering area and leads a full time staff member and up to 3 student workers. This position provides guidance to ensure all payments from students and departments are posted within the university policy. This position also handles specialized payments such as group posting from collection agencies, Debt Set Off payments, and corporate payments. This position has responsibility to ensure the university is PCI compliant, tracking credit card machines and check scanners. The Cashier Lead is also a point of contact for Reimbursement Processing Support Team for resolving accounts questions, and the Finance Service team for deposit issues. This position also serves as a backup to posting the AR sponsored payments.
Cashiering Oversight - 50%
- Coordinates day-to-day activities of cashiers. This includes training, and providing support resolving issues or addressing customer concerns.
- Assist cashiers in resolving difficult or complex problems; provides guidance and leadership to cashiers.
- Prepares and reviews reports to ensure accuracy, adjust or corrects errors.
- Manages void process for cashier receipts, ensuring proper documentation is maintained for compliance.
- Apply knowledge to analyze/respond to matters requiring comprehensive knowledge of department policies and procedures; researches and interprets various levels of information.
- Solves problems and recommends changes to policies or procedures affecting assigned function.
- Contacts various department personnel regularly to resolve discrepancies or problems; answers inquiries regarding work being performed.
- Serve as a resource to departments.
- A knowledgeable resource for department staff regarding payment posting issues.
Posting payments/resolution of account issues/Customer Service - 30%
- Assisting cashiers with their job duties, including receiving and paying out money and performing the more specialized or advanced cashier functions such as university department transactions, posting student payments, balancing and preparing bank deposits, balancing reports, and group posting. Answering/researching account questions from student/parents.
- Researches and tracks/posts unclaimed Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Provides support for escalated calls and emails from students that have various situations that need to be researched and coordinated with other campus departments.
- Conducts a variety of customer service tasks which may include providing account balances, transferring funds, tracking deposits and various record changes.
- Balances cash drawers and daily transactions; resolves or reports discrepancies.
- Researches unidentified account transactions, makes sure any necessary adjustments are completed.
- Works closely with Accounts Receivable team to ensure write off accounts are appropriately adjusted as payments come in monthly from agencies and the State.
- Works closely with Financial Accounting Services office to resolve cashiering balancing issues.
- Works closely with the Reimbursement Processing Support team to answer questions and resolve issues while following university policies/procedures.
Tracking - 10%
- Maintains special logs or records, balances and reconciles internal accounts with university system; verifies accuracy and makes necessary adjustments.
- Maintain an inventory list of check scanners and credit card machines issued throughout campus. Responsible for PCI compliance for the department.
- Maintain up to date documentation for cashiering processes.
- Acquire and maintain up-to-date knowledge of the Student & Departmental Account Services policies and processes for the purpose of answering inquiries either by phone, email or in-person. It is also necessary to have a working knowledge of policies and services offered by departments with whom the Student & Departmental Account Services works most closely, e.g., Financial Aid, Registrar, Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions, Center for International Education and Reimbursement Processing Support team.
AR Sponsored Project 5%
- Serve as a backup in processing AR sponsored deposits within the accounts receivable system.
- Run reports to analyze and monitor accounts receivable activity and ensure payments are applied correctly.
- Assist in researching unclaimed EFTs.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma.
- 1-2 years of accounting experience.
- Any combination of relevant and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree.
- Accounting experience in higher education.
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft and PeopleSoft Financials.
- 2-3 years banking experience.
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft office system.
- 2-3 years customer service experience with the ability to clearly communicate with diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a professional environment with strong communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and budgeting practices.
- Knowledge of methods of handling money, receipting and maintaining records.
- Knowledge of basic teller functions and transaction.
- Skill in applying control procedures and accurate calculation.
- Skill in counting, receiving and disbursing money.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Skill in meeting and communicating with customers.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to build a strong working relationship within the department, across the university and with outside agencies.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $40,755. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
February 20, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606918&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert