- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 2, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 11/30/2022
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS106P
Pay Rate: $26.80 per hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape.Vassar College is deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented groups.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
There is one Electrician position available.
The Electrician is responsible for the inspection, installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and replacement of electrical power systems, and equipment including distribution systems and equipment. The electrician reports to the Electrical Supervisor who reports to the Manager of Mechanical Services.
Starting rate of $26.80 per hour, rate will increase after successful completion of six month probation period.
- Repairing and maintaining electrical equipment, distribution systems, controls and signal equipment;
- Inspecting and testing electrical lighting, signal communication and power circuit equipment;
- Isolating defects in wiring, switches, motors and other electrical equipment using suitable testing instruments
- Examining and testing elements of electrical systems to locate obvious faults such as blown fuses, short circuits, broken wires, loose connections, and worn motor brushes;
- Replacing faulty switches, sockets, plugs, fuses, insulators and other simple elements of electrical systems, fixtures and appliances;
- Renewing circuits either by isolating and cutting out defective wiring and replacing it with new wiring or by splicing ends of broken wires;
- Replacing defective equipment parts such as gears, bushings and bearings and other related electrical parts;
- Maintaining, testing and running emergency generators;
- Responding to and troubleshooting elevator problems;
- Repairing, maintaining and calibrating electronically operated controls and devices such as signal devices, and fire warning and security systems;
- Overtime, including responding to after hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in all aspects of electrical work required.
- Knowledge of electrical principles and their application to the maintenance, repair, installation of electrical distribution systems, devices and electrical generation systems.
- Knowledge of the application and use of testing equipment utilized in checking, testing and analyzing electrical systems such as Volt-Ammeters, voltage testers, phase and rotation testers, multi-meters, etc. is a must.
- Knowledge of regulatory codes and requirements such as NEC and BOCA codes is preferred.
- Willingness to work overtime, if available.
- Must have and maintain a valid New York driver’s license.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/3027.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert