Full-time faculty tenure-track appointment in Film/Media Post-Production, Temple University
- Temple University, Center for the Performing and Cinematic Arts
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Pay commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Feb 2, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Communications, Film & Video
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
NOTICE OF FACULTY VACANCY
Film and Media Arts - Post-Production
POSITION: Full-time tenure-track appointment in Film/Media Post-Production
RANK/SALARY: Assistant or Associate Professor of Film/Media Post-Production, tenure-track appointment in Film and Media Arts. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Teach undergraduate and graduate courses; advise and mentor students; engage in appropriate service to the department, the university, and the profession; demonstrate a commitment to community engagement with Philadelphia cultural institutions; and facilitate outreach with area industry and independent film and media professionals
QUALIFICATIONS: The Department of Film and Media Arts seeks a visionary practitioner and educator for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position to teach Post-Production courses for narrative and documentary filmmaking and to lead the Post-Production BA Concentration.
The successful candidate will possess a strong creative portfolio with post-production credits in one or more of the following areas: Dramatic Narrative, Documentary, Episodic Television, Audio-Post Production. The candidate will show leadership capabilities in the further development, facilitation, and implementation of a rigorous, innovative post-production curriculum, continuing the department's commitment to the integration of theory and practice. The new faculty member will teach post-production at both undergraduate and graduate levels, guiding the department's BA concentration and also teaching and mentoring students in the MFA program in Film and Media Arts and in the MA Program in mediaXarts: Cinema for New Technologies and Environments.
Film & Media Arts has a strong reputation in preparing students for evolving production practices. As the Film and Media Arts Department continues to grow, our ideal Post-Production candidate will teach classes in their specialty area and guide the expansion of our Post curriculum, labs, and adjunct faculty in areas such as remote editing, workflows for special effects-based "in-studio" work, and knowledge of virtual production hardware and software across platforms. Secondary areas of interest may include sound-design and post-production for immersive environments, CGI, compositing, and/or animation.
The outstanding candidate will have the following qualifications:
- An MFA degree or exceptional industry equivalent experience and a strong portfolio of their own independent projects, and/or post-production experience in independent and commercial productions.
- Three years of successful university teaching. Graduate student teaching at MA and MFA level preferred.
- Professional experience in the field and a record of building bridges between the academy and the industry.
- Outstanding technology experience with post-production hardware and software plus excellent, secondary experience in one or more of: sound design, VR/AR, post for CGI, compositing, animation.
- Understanding and application of the aesthetics of film and media arts as it applies to post-production and other computer-based art forms as well as historic forms.
The department encourages applications by women and minority candidates.
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 1, 2023
APPLICATION REVIEW: Begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
SUBMIT APPLICATION: Send letter of application (including one paragraph statement discussing how the candidate approaches diversity, equity and belonging in the classroom,) CV, 1 sample post-production course syllabus, and list of 3 references with contact information to
Search Committee Co-Chairs: Sarah Drury and Rea Tajiri
c/o Beth Bolton
Please be sure the file name for your application and CV includes your last name, first name, and the position name. For example: Smith.John.Temple.PPR.App.pdf or Smith.John.Temple.PPR.CV.pdf.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ADDITIONAL MATERIALS UNTIL REQUESTED.
Prepare to send the following additional materials if requested at a later date:
- Samples of additional course syllabi
- A statement of the candidate’s teaching philosophy.
- A portfolio of teaching evaluations (student evaluations, peer reviews, video recordings of teaching, etc.)
- 3-5 confidential letters of recommendation (dated, signed and presented on letterhead) submitted directly from the referee
COVID-19 vaccinations are required for employment at Temple University, unless granted a religious or medical exemption.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: The Film & Media Arts Department is an internationally recognized program in documentary, independent narrative, and experimental forms and has a history of producing socially conscious filmmakers. The program encourages a cross-disciplinary mix of theory and practice including hybrid and digital arts production. The Department offers BA, BFA, MA, MFA and PhD degrees. Film & Media Arts is a member of Temple’s Center for the Performing and Cinematic Arts, which includes the School of Theater, Film and Media Arts and the Boyer College of Music and Dance. It is located on the University’s main campus in the culturally rich and diverse city of Philadelphia. For more information about the department, consult the website https://tfma.temple.edu/fma.
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
WOMEN AND MINORITY CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Apply for Full-time faculty tenure-track appointment in Film/Media Post-Production, Temple University
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert