**This is an on-site position. Remote workers will NOT be
The Financial Aid Office at St. Thomas University assists
students in financing their college education by helping meet the
student's demonstrated need as well as to help students and
families navigate the financial aid process, answer questions about
their financial aid; and their options for student loan
The Financial Aid Advisor meets with and awards students’
financial aid, processes and advises students and families on all
aspects of financial aid with all applicable institutional, state,
and federal regulations. The Financial Aid Advisor provides high
quality customer and administrative services and support for the
office, the staff and constituents and performs services to support
an active, STUdent-centered environment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assistance to students and prospective students
concerning financial aid information, eligibility and the
application process; guide students to successfully obtain
financial aid; and ensure students understand and comply with
financial aid regulations and requirements
- Determines financial aid eligibility through needs analysis
under the federal methodology, resulting in obtaining the required
information to calculate financial aid eligibility.
- Packages and process institutional, state, federal and private
financial aid, inclusive of ensuring eligibility, and origination
and disbursement of funds are completed according to
- Performs Verification on FAFSA© applications selected by the
federal Department of Education to confirm the data reported on the
FAFSA© application is accurate.
- Runs daily and weekly reports for eligibility, packaging,
- Serves as liaison to private lenders and COD when resolving
student loan conflicts and issues.
- Responsible for all Graduate Assistantship [GA] awarding and
works with departmental supervisors to identify graduate students
who will be awarded GA positions.
- Works closely with the Student Employment Coordinator to ensure
federal, State and institutional rules and regulations governing
the placement of eligible students are met.
- Works closely with the Student Employment Coordinator to
reconcile and track Federal Work Study hours and wages to keep
within the federal allocation.
- Responsible for the financial aid transfer of funds [FATR]
process for disbursement by the business office, which requires
checking student eligibility for the receipt of the funding.
- Monitors Satisfactory Academic Progress [SAP] for students and
communicates the SAP process to students.
- Process Return to Title IV [R2T4] funding on students who have
withdrawn from the university.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current financial aid
practices through training, professional seminars, workshops and
- Attends meetings as required
- Assists at local and out of state financial aid and admissions
workshops for currently enrolled and prospective students as
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree required. Minimum of 3 years of previous
financial aid experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and
Outlook and skilled in telephone etiquette. Must be able to
concentrate on work projects during numerous interruptions by heavy
volume of telephone calls and visitors. Accurate data entry and/or
typing skills with familiarity of computer systems. Colleague
- Possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
with the ability to communicate with a diverse population. Works
regularly with confidential information requiring discretion and
- Must be a self-starter able to work under pressure, coordinate
daily operations and meet established deadlines.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is helpful, but not required.
Physical requirements are within the normal range of an office
environment, but may include occasional lifting, carrying, and
pushing/pulling up to 10 pounds.
After 1 year of continuous full‐time service, employees are
eligible to enroll in STU’s bachelor and master courses,
tuition‐free. The program will cover a maximum timeframe of
125% of credit hours attempted toward the degree program. Employees
may enroll in STU’s doctoral program, with a 40% tuition discount,
under the same conditions.
St. Thomas University is a Catholic university sponsored by the
Archdiocese of Miami committed to academic and professional success
guided by its Catholic identity. All employees are therefore
expected to respect the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and
support the University’s religious mission. All employees hereby
acknowledge their familiarity and support of the religious
affiliation, mission and values of St. Thomas University.
Equal Employment Opportunity
St. Thomas University is an equal opportunity employer that
promotes a diverse and inclusive organization. It is the policy of
the University to fill each vacancy with the candidate who
represents the best fit for the position and to promote and
transfer employees from within whenever possible and practical.
Employment decisions are made on the basis of the candidate’s
personal capabilities, qualifications, and ability to assist the
University in fulfilling its mission without discrimination. With
regard to the latter, the University’s program of recruiting
employees for mission aims to inform prospective employees of the
University’s mission and to help them and hiring personnel
determine how they will support and contribute to the University’s
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Employer. E-Verify is an
Internet-based system that allows an employer, using information
reported on an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility
Verification, to determine the eligibility of that employee to work
in the United States. STU will utilize E-Verify® to verify
employment eligibility for all newly hired employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.98 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Miami Gardens, FL 33054: Reliably commute or planning to
relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person