ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN II
- University of Missouri - Columbia
- Missouri, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Safety & Security, Legal Affairs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Environmental Health And Safety
This is an entry-level position which will provide general Environmental Health & Safety technical support to the campus community for research, veterinary, and medical community.
- Survey and inspect laboratories and other areas that use hazardous materials including radioactive substances; monitor uses and practices for compliance with University, State and Federal requirements.
- Pick up hazardous/radioactive materials from various campus departments; transport, manage and store/dispose of materials according to required safety procedures.
- Perform and document routine laboratory tasks such as exposure rate surveys, contamination surveys, and sealed source leak tests.
- Package, or assist with packaging, hazardous/radioactive materials into specified containers for shipment including paperwork to comply with regulatory requirements related to hazardous/radioactive materials.
- Perform, or assist with performing, chemical and/or physical clean-up of hazardous/radioactive materials or spills.
- Perform routine cleaning of work facilities to ensure safety.
- Maintain good working knowledge of all governmental regulations concerning the shipment and handling of hazardous/radioactive materials.
- May assist in the development of new techniques for hazardous/radioactive materials management; may assist in training of faculty, staff, and students in the proper use of protective equipment and safe handling techniques.
- Operate material handling equipment, drive University vehicle for material transportation.
- May perform simple chemistry tests and radioactive analysis on samples of materials.
- Calibrating and performing operational checks of radiation detection instrumentation, including maintenance of calibration records.
- Administrative supervision is received from Director, Environmental Health and Safety or other designated supervisor.
- May exercise functional supervision over subordinate personnel and helper personnel.
Salary Range: $20.00-$20.50 per hour
GGS Grade: 7
University Title: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN II
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
Monday through Friday
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities can be acquired is necessary
- Certification as required by regulatory agencies is necessary
An Associate degree in Applied Science or equivalent experience.
Must currently possess or be able to obtain, within 30 days, a valid Missouri Driver’s License.
Ability to meet initial and as needed fitness-for-duty (drug and alcohol testing), background screening, training, driving records, strength/dexterity, and other requirements necessary for complete job performance for campus and hospital radiation safety programs.
Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job (i.e., ability to lift up to 50 lbs.), to be able to perform laboratory monitoring, and conduct surveys using various types and sometimes cumbersome survey instruments.
Possess working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Ability to read and communicate effectively.
Ability to work effectively with a diverse population.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Director of Employee and Labor Relations at 573-884-2577.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility and ADA at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
- EEO is the Law English Version
- EEO is the Law Spanish Version
- EEO is the Law Chinese Version
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert