Internal Controls Manager/ ARMICs Coordinator
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 31, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance, Business Administration, Other Business & Management, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Other Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Finance & University Controller, this position performs risk assessments, auditing techniques, and business process analysis to prepare a comprehensive and ongoing evaluation and documentation of business processes and key internal accounting controls over all the university's fiscal processes for university management.
Uses professional judgment and knowledge of auditing and accounting standards, business practices, and financial management to complete this large complex project and to identify internal control deficiencies in these fiscal processes, develop and assist in the implementation of corrective action plans, and assess the need for modifications to training programs to address these deficiencies. Develops processes and procedures, project work plans, and interacts with various levels of management and staff throughout the university to coordinate the update and/or creation of such risk assessments and internal control documentation necessary to ensure compliance with the state Comptroller's Agency Risk Management and Internal Control Standards (ARMICS) requirements. These requirements are geared towards implementing procedures similar to Sarbanes Oxley Section 404 and the Internal Control framework created by COSO and will focus on the following: the integrity of fiscal processes and transactions posted to the accounting system/general ledger, controls over the financial reporting process, compliance with laws and regulations, and stewardship over the university's assets.
Reviews or assists in the implementation or creation of long range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
Represents the AVP for Finance & University Controller as needed and assigned in a wide range of financial matters, such as leading or participating in special projects, serving on university committees and ad hoc teams, preparing financial analysis and reports, assisting with the preparation of the annual audited financial statements and managing of responses to management letter comments from the auditors, and assisting with the review or implementation of continuous improvements within the areas reporting to the Controller to improve operational efficiencies and effectiveness. Recommends and participates in the development of University policies and procedures; may serve on University planning and policymaking committees.
• Bachelor's degree in business, accounting finance, business information technology, data analysis or related field.
• Experience conducting internal or external audits of business processes.
• Demonstrated analytical skills, including the ability to collect and analyze information, draw complex conclusions, and develop recommendations.
• Experience in interpreting and assessing compliance with policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and professional auditing and accounting standards.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively and collaboratively work with various levels of management and staff in a diverse and decentralized environment.
• Expert knowledge of auditing standards and GAAP and ability to apply and interpret same.
• Strong leadership and analytical skills.
• Previous experience with query tools (such as ACL, SQL, Access, etc.) to extract data from automated systems to select audit samples, create reports, or perform financial analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
• Demonstrated ability to lead project teams, and manage and successfully complete large complex projects by required deadlines.
• Experience with statistical analysis and audit sampling, process flow diagrams, and Excel and Word or similar office software.
• Master’s degree in business, accounting finance, business information technology, data analysis or related field
• Related professional certification (ex. Certifed Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, or Certified Information Systems Auditor)
• Preference given for previous experience in implementing or auditing Sarbanes Oxley or COSO/ERM compliant processes and procedures.
• Significant and progressively responsible auditing and/or accounting and auditing experience. Previous experience in auditing and documenting and/or in developing and analyzing business processes and internal accounting controls and performing related risk assessments.Previous experience in higher education or a not-for-profit organization.
• Previous experience with electronic audit workpaper software
Commensurate with experience with a salary range of $85,000-$95,000 per year
February 7, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Marisela Garza at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: January 31, 2023
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert