Part-Time Instructional Faculty - Master of Computer Information Technology
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Computer Sciences & Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Part-Time Instructional Faculty - Master of Computer Information Technology
Location: Personalized Learning
Job ID: 606481
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
Personalized Learning (PL) incorporates innovative teaching and learning methods. Administered by NAU Online, PL differs from, but complements, the traditional classroom-based academic model, with the goal for students to achieve deeper learning through a personalized approach of multiple, hybrid and more effective learning methods and modalities and within timeframes that best meet the students' needs. Our model combines best learning practices from the educational field to ensure competency, including: shared and open-source content; varying delivery modules such as video and simulations; faculty-led mentorships and tutoring; and customized instruction. Tuition is based on length of time rather than by course or credit hours, providing a financial incentive to the student to complete their degree in a timely or accelerated fashion.
- Part-time (19 hours per week; less than 49% FTE); no benefits provided
- Remote duty station; workspace and equipment not provided
- Position reports to PL Chair and collaborates with Faculty Program Coordinator in academic discipline
- Position requires extensive use of technology; candidate must be comfortable working and communicating in an online environment
- This position requires ability to meet regularly via web-based conferencing and/or via telephone, and periodically in-person at a campus location for team meetings
- A letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references must be included with the online application to be considered for the position
- Communicating predominately in Mandarin, facilitates instruction and assesses student learning outcomes in courses and lessons aligned to area of expertise
- Tutors in area of expertise
- Provides high-touch assessment feedback
- Advocates for resolution of student issues
- Coordinates with Disability Resources about students requiring accommodation
- Maintains and communicates regular hours of availability for synchronous student interaction
- Develops a strong understanding of available problem-solving resources by collaborating with NAU student services staff
- Maintains electronic and academic student files and records, such as email and Salesforce, documenting all pertinent student information
- Supports curricular assignments determined by Faculty Program Coordinator
- Collaborates with Instructional Designers to:
- Review disciplinary curriculum, design, and evaluation
- Identify the learning outcomes and ensure that they are aligned with assessments
- Identify and create learning resources to support course materials and student learning
- Develops rubrics for evaluations and assessment Monitoring of instructional materials to ensure sound academic practices
- Ensures that materials are accessible (Section508ADA) and usable for all learners
- Maintains functioning links and ensures currency course materials
- Masters or Doctorate degree from a regionally accredited university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Data Science, IT project Management, Information Security or closely related field
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Mandarin
- Experience in online or competency-based programs
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Willingness to serve as an active member of a remote academic team
- Strong communication skills, especially working with students and colleagues remotely
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to predict and proactively answer anticipated questions
- Commitment to student accessibility
- Innovative problem-solving
- Skilled in online academic technology
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty and students from diverse cultural backgrounds, ages, and experience levels
- Detail oriented; timely follow up with student inquiries and reports
- Ability to work non-standard hours, if needed to support student needs
Northern Arizona University is a 29,569-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 70,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.
For information about diversity, access, and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Hourly rate starts at $27.00
This is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on August 5, 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 606481, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include: (1) a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; (2) a curriculum vitae; and (3) names and contact information for three professional references. Save all items as PDF and/or Word documents.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606481&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert