Associate Director of Admission, Diversity Outreach
- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Humanities, Ethnic & Multicultural Studies
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Associate Director of Admission, Diversity Outreach
Department: Admissions Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 09/27/2022
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS292P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape.Vassar College is deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented groups.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Admission for Diversity Outreach. This is an on-campus position.
The Associate Director will join a creative and inclusive team responsible for representing Vassar and participating in the selection of candidates for the entering class. In addition, working closely with the Dean and Director of Admission, the Associate Director will develop and coordinate efforts to enhance the representation of students of color, low-income, first-generation, and other historically underrepresented students on campus. This will include oversight of diversity initiatives and programming such as fly-in programs and a fall on-campus event, facilitating and maintaining relationships with college access organizations, creating new programming, and managing the office's partnership with QuestBridge. The Associate Director will also supervise the diversity outreach team.
Admission team members are also responsible for managing and supporting a territory. About four weeks of fall travel and one to two weeks of spring and summer travel are expected. This position will work collaboratively to support the enrollment of intelligent, highly engaged, and creative students, regardless of their financial circumstances. The Associate Director, in concert with the admission team, will support and advocate for the College's values regarding access, affordability, and inclusion.
- Spearhead the office's diversity student recruitment efforts and share best practices with fellow admission officers;
- Create and implement specialized diversity programming for both recruitment and yield;
- Represent Vassar to diverse audiences in high schools, at college fair programs, on campus, and through a range of online media;
- Manage a recruitment territory;
- Maintain relationships with secondary school officials, community-based and college-access organizations, and access-oriented partnership programs on behalf of Vassar;
- Correspond with prospective students and their families;
- Organize and participate in a range of admission events;
- Develop and maintain relationships with Vassar alumni admission volunteers;
- Participate fully in the evaluation of applications and the selection of the first-year and transfer classes;
- Develop and lead college access workshops;
- Liaise with key campus constituents;
- Supervise the diversity outreach team as well as several student interns;
- Four weeks of fall travel and one to two weeks of spring/summer travel;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred;
- A minimum of six years of admission experience with progressively increasing responsibility in selective college admissions and/or college counseling, or commensurate experience/education;
- Prefer experience in highly selective college admission and an understanding of small liberal arts colleges;
- Commitment to diversity and building an inclusive community;
- Experience working directly with students of color, students who will be the first in the families to attend college, and students from low-income backgrounds;
- Excellent work ethic with a can-do attitude and a knack for creative problem solving;
- Team player with empathy, respect for others, a collaborative approach, and a sense of humor;
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills and a keen eye for detail;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Able to work independently on tasks with minimal supervision;
- Strong staff management and collaboration skills. Supervisory or management experience with the ability to train and mentor staff, deliver constructive feedback, and continually refine processes to align with new and best practices in the field;
- Familiarity and comfort with technology and database systems, experience with Slate is a plus;
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, especially during peak periods;
- Excellent project management skills, especially in planning and program development;
- Advocate for a liberal arts education;
- Must exercise good judgment, discretion, and integrity while working collegially with faculty, students, staff, and alumni in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment;
- Must be flexible and able to travel for several weeks;
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2905.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert