Assistant Director, Digital Marketing and Communications
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Media Studies
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director, Digital Marketing and Communications
About the Opportunity
Northeastern's Advancement Division seeks an Assistant Director of Digital Marketing and Communications. Currently operating under a hybrid model, half in office and half remote, this position requires a savvy employer of electronic media, who can both plan strategy around websites, emails, and social media channels, and harness each distribution platform to convey university and fundraising messaging. This mid-level professional has experience creating websites in Word Press; a track record of crafting, designing, and delivering effective email newsletters and other messaging in Constant Contact/Salesforce Marketing Cloud; and knowledge of best practices for social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook.
The Assistant Director is an essential Advancement Communications team member who will play an integral role in Northeastern's next major fundraising campaign. This person will develop and deploy communications strategies working with the Executive Director of Communications and the team of the Senior Vice President of Advancement. They will utilize all the output of the Communications Team—our writing, video, website creation, and design—to interact with donors, get them engaged with the university, and inspire them to give to the campaign. The Assistant Director will help influence and guide others' thinking about digital engagement strategies for the campaign.
The Assistant Director is fluent in developing and adapting messaging depending on audience and communications platform. They are a gifted collaborator and a diplomatic, service-oriented problem-solver who enjoys seeking out new ways to enhance content and engage donors and prospects. They are well-versed in the digital space and keep up with the latest trends in social media and other ways people connect online. The Assistant Director also writes some direct mail appeals and helps oversee the work of the Communications Associate, who does appeal writing for the Annual Giving team.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Three to five (3-5) years of professional experience in nonprofit writing/communications, marketing, or a related field.
- A good understanding of email engagement and expertise in designing and deploying Constant Contact and Salesforce Marketing Cloud messages.
- Decent knowledge of WordPress to create vibrant, interest-piquing websites that encourage interaction.
- In-depth comprehension of driving long-term engagement on social media platforms, particularly Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- A strong desire to continue to build knowledge in the fast-moving digital marketing field, continuously seeking new platforms and methods of engagement.
- Excellent editing, proofreading, and writing skills.
- Expertise in crafting persuasive, donor-centric appeals and other communications pieces.
- The ability to work quickly and effectively within a valued, fast-paced communications operation of writers, designers, and video producers utilizing a full range of print, multimedia, and online communications tools to meet strategic goals.
- Good interpersonal skills and the capacity to collaborate effectively with colleagues throughout the division with diplomacy and optimism.
- Strong knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and matters of style.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Familiarity with Canva a plus.
Digital Marketing Strategy and Execution
- Set the strategy for content and messaging through websites, emails, newsletters, and social media.
- Act as go-to person for Women Who Empower communications, including the Women's Entrepreneurship Initiative and the Women Who Empower Ambassadors.
- Come up with innovative platforms and engagement strategies to draw in audience, including exclusive events, contests, polls, and challenges to build following, interest, and loyalty. Constantly and collaboratively refine these plans to ensure optimal outcomes, working closely with the Office of the SVP and Communications Assistant co-op.
- Utilize knowledge, make recommendations, and offer ideas that will shape and execute a digital communications strategy to draw in donors and engage them with our next major fundraising campaign and the university.
Writing and Editing for the SVP
- Work closely with the SVP of Advancement's team to ensure successful engagement strategies.
- Assist with drafting and reviewing correspondence to internal and external audiences on behalf of the SVP and occasionally the President and Board Chair, as well as drafting talking points for board meetings and major events.
- Edit and proofread team members' content.
Annual Giving Appeal Writing
- Develop original, compelling content for a variety of electronic and print-based fundraising appeals that convey university messaging and inspire philanthropic support of students, faculty, and programs.
- Help hone the appeal writing of the Communications Associate.
Marketing and Communications
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-Director--Digital-Marketing-and-Communications_R107505
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert