Assistant Academic Advisor, PSS4
- Rowan University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
Position Title: Assistant Academic Advisor (Range 18)
Department: University Advising Services (UAS)
Division: Division of Student Affairs
Position Summary for UAS Academic Advisor:
This Assistant Academic Advisor will report to the relevant Associate Director of University Advising Services. The Assistant Academic Advisor will assist students in many aspects of the advising process, including supporting student understanding and application of University and program policies, requirements, and opportunities.
Initial Placement: University Advising Center, UAC
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Advise students about academic requirements and selection of courses, in the form of both individual and group sessions
- Provide career advising as it relates to major and course selection
- Consult with Senior Academic Advisor and/or Associate Director regarding problematic academic progress issues, interactions with parents, student complaints, etc.; refer any problems or difficult situations which arise to leadership
- Review and interpret placement and other standardized test scores, unofficial transcripts, and course prerequisites
- Use data and reports regarding academic progress for monitoring student progress and outreach.
- Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions
requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines,
important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in
university-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of degree program requirements
- Understand and interpret for students the University’s academic standing policy
- Provide guidance on relevant institutional policies and procedures
- Understand the institution’s interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, parents, students, etc. and consult with Senior Academic Advisor and/or Associate Director as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of interactions with students including entering notes in Rowan Success Network/Starfish
- Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for services such as tutoring, testing, counseling, financial assistance, study abroad, etc.
- Assist with new student orientations and admissions activities (e.g., Open House)
- Engage in professional development activities, including but not limited to, memberships in professional organizations; attendance at conferences, workshops, and training sessions; stay current with information technology skills (e.g., Banner)
- Participate in institutional student development and retention programs
- Position may require some evening and weekend activities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- One (1) year of professional experience (preferably working with students in a post-secondary educational institution or other appropriate educational setting). A Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position is equivalent to one year of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Significant experience providing support services in a higher education setting
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position.
- Experience advising across a range of curricula preferred
- Experience in the relevant academic discipline(s)
- Experience working with students with a variety of academic interests and abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive, e-mail, student information systems (Banner, Degree Works)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills
- High level of customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
Rowan University celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, race, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, (dis)ability status, military status, and other NJ protected classes. Rowan University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment as required by Title IX. Rowan is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with (dis)abilities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Christy Mroz, Administrative Assistant, OEE@rowan.edu, 856-256-5494. Rowan strongly encourages applicants from underrepresented groups to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert