Adjunct Faculty, Government
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Speech & Rhetoric, Humanities, English as a Second Language, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Criminal Justice & Criminology, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Distance Education Programs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Qualities of Excellence
As faculty members of Lone Star College, we strive to create a nation of world citizenry in our students. In that pursuit, we model ways of thinking and being that incorporate diversity, equality, and equity. Our culture, then, requires the possession of transcendent qualities that, while immeasurable, are evident in global citizens. We are compassionate with our students, colleagues, and ourselves. We are innovative in the pursuit of learning. Ultimately, we create a culture where learning thrives, people are safe, and we mirror the qualities of world citizenry.
Lone Star College faculty are dedicated to four qualities of excellence:
- Student Invested
- Content Expert
- Pedagogically Excellent
- Institutionally Dedicated
Lone Star College-Houston North Greenspoint
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
LSC-Houston North Greenspoint is a state-of-the-art, full-service location designed to serve the greater Greenspoint area. Its proximity to local businesses and public transportation has created a location ideal for working and non-traditional students. The facility offers a selection of day, evening and weekend credit courses, including university-transfer courses, certificates, computer/office skills, and developmental studies.
Location address is 250 N. Sam Houston Pkwy E., Houston, TX 77060.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of course content
- Demonstrated leadership skills; Style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to diversity; Ability to appreciate alternative viewpoints; Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrates interest in interdisciplinary teaching, service learning, learning technologies, course development, and adult learning methodologies including collaborative learning, learning communities and distance learning
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement instructional approaches such as service learning/civic engagement, learning communities, and the effective use of technology
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment, and any specialized equipment standard within the discipline/industry
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled classroom and/or lab environment with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Hours will vary depending on class time; Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
- Master's degree in Political Science/Government or
- Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in Political Science/Government; JDs and MPAs must have 18 graduate hours in related Political Science/Government courses
$49.75 per contact hour.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert