Director - Intercollegiate & Intramural Athletics
- City Colleges of Chicago
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 31, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education, Administrative, Student Affairs, Athletics
- Employment Type
- Full Time
DIRECTOR – INTERCOLLEGIATE & INTRAMURAL ATHLETICS
Truman College is looking for a Director – Intercollegiate & Intramural Athletics to supervise the coordination of athletic events and manage athletic department budget. This position provides leadership in the development, administration, and evaluation of a comprehensive intercollegiate athletic program. In collaboration with the District Office of Intercollegiate Athletics, the position will provide visionary direction to current and future student athletes, as well as develop a robust intramural sports program designed to promote campus wide spirit.
- Implements the District wide Athletic Department strategy focused on an “Academics-first Agenda”.
- Monitors student academic progress and oversees campus based intervention strategies to increase student-athlete success (i.e. advising, tutoring, and mentoring).
- Serves as the liaison between student-athletes, athletic coaches, faculty and campus administration.
- Enforces and maintains an athletic program policy of educating and graduating student athletes. Works with school administrators, faculty and staff to ensure student athletes are academically eligible for a given sport.
- Assures the college’s compliance with National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) rules and regulations. Closely monitors academic, conduct and physical requirements for each student athlete and submits all NJCAA eligibility compliance documents.
- Provides guidance and direction for the college’s sports and intramural programs.
- Prepares and manages the budget for all athletic programs. Monitors expenditures for the programs to assure sound fiscal practices and prepares a budget for District office approval (i.e., team travel, equipment purchases, and facility upkeep).
- Attends all NJCAA Regional meetings and meets with conference and league officials on scheduling and other issues (i.e. post-season play). In collaboration with the AVC, represents the college in athletic matters and decisions in Region IV of the NJCAA.
- In collaboration with the District Office of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Office of the President at the campus level, recruits, interviews and recommends the hiring and termination of department personal. Hires all authorized game officials. Hires and manages work-study/internship participants to assist in Athletic Department operations.
- Compiles reports on the status of each team and its successes and shortcomings. Participates in all mediations in the department that he/she oversees. Manages and resolves disputes between athletes, coaches or staff in coordination with the District Office of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Schedules practice times and manages the use of campus athletic facilities. Coordinates all home events involving athletic facilities and fields. In collaboration with the District Office of Intercollegiate Athletics and respective coaches, oversees scheduling of athletic events.
- In collaboration with the District Office of Intercollegiate Athletics, develops and builds relationships with four-year institutions.
- Oversees the campus intramural athletic programs and the operation of the campus fitness center.
- Assists in the development and implementation of meaningful professional development activities designed to enhance the skills of Athletic Department personnel.
- In collaboration with the AVC maintains the college’s CCC athletic web pages and the college’s NJCAA webpage.
- Directs staff and coaches to develop and enforce the District/college’s athletic code of conduct.
- Organizes the logistics and transportation of the college athletic teams.
- Ensures that each coach maintains an accurate inventory of equipment and materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Counseling, Student Personnel, Education, Sports Management or related field from an accredited college or university, supplemented by five years of coaching at the college or high school level; or completion of a Master’s degree in Physical Education, Education, Sports Management or related field from an accredited college or university, supplemented by three years of coaching at the college or high school level. Previous experience as an Athletic Director is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics and the role athletics and extracurricular activities play in the health of community college learning environments.
- Good organization, administrative, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough understanding of NJCAA rules and policies.
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of software programs.
- Previous budget management experience and sound fiscal and operations management skills.
- Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within six months of hire. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert