Director, Software Program Management
- Princeton University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 31, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director, Software Program Management
Job ID: 2023-16308
# of Openings: 1
Category: Information Technology
Software Application Services (SAS), a department within Princeton’s Office of Information Technology (OIT), is responsible for the implementation, maintenance, and support of Princeton University’s enterprise application portfolio of approximate 140 academic and administrative applications. SAS is comprised of approximately 105 developers and support specialists and completes on the order of 200 projects per year. These systems and projects cover essentially all major applications and business functions spanning the entire University. The Director of Software Program Management is a new role and will be a key member of the SAS senior leadership team. This person partners with the Associate CIO of SAS to help ensure we are providing optimal services in support of the mission of Princeton University. The Director contributes to the departmental vision and guides our multiyear strategic initiatives, projects, and objectives. The Director will play a central and coordinating role in ensuring that SAS’ software projects are being competently led, that the project documentation is accurate and complete, that responsibilities and status are clearly and completely communicated and understood, and that the needs and objectives of the functional partners and departments being served by these projects are being met. The Director will have their fingers on the pulse of SAS projects spanning the entire University and play an essential role in ensuring that these software projects are progressing as planned, the development teams are clear of obstacles and have the resources they require, and that the objectives of our projects are being met on-time, on-budget, and on-scope.
- Play a central role in guiding progress on SAS’ annual project slate ensuring we are meeting project objectives on-time, on-budget, and on-scope without overstretching our developers’ capabilities.
- Employ a detailed understanding of SAS’ technologies, technical skillsets, and resource availability in measuring available capacity against business partner demand.
- Work closely with SAS Associate CIO to maintain an accurate, real-time understanding of department commitments against department accomplishments.
- Act as a partner, guide, and problem solver for project managers and software project resources, clearing obstacles, recognizing resource needs, and bringing solutions to project teams.
- Prioritize, manage, and continuously fine-tune project priorities for the department. Review the risk landscape on SAS services and projects, identifying areas of concern and needed action plans.
- Partner with SAS Directors to establish KPIs for projects that are part of key programs.
- Provide guidance and leadership to SAS’ ongoing planning and coordination efforts.
- Be a trusted advisor to the Associate CIO for SAS on a wide range of project, customer, and business decisions.
- Partner with the Associate CIO and other Directors to define and develop internal and external project- and service-related communications.
- As part of the department’s senior leadership team, contribute to developing the department vision and multiyear strategy.
- Keep abreast of campus customer needs, aspirations, and initiatives and notify the SAS senior leadership team as appropriate.
- Lead special initiatives in partnership with the Associate CIO as needed.
- Represent SAS at various OIT and campus meetings and events.
- Monitor SAS’ progress and performance by watching and tracking key metrics and indicators.
7+ years of project and program
management leadership experience, preferably supporting software
services, enterprise applications and technology.
Excellent interpersonal skills
and the ability to collaborate and influence broadly.
Exceptional analytical skills
and the ability to identify opportunities and solve problems
Strategic thinker with a
Excellent written and oral
Demonstrated ability to assess
and communicate a problem and recommend solutions.
Listen to and understand the
interests of business partners, stakeholders and staff, and
advocate for their needs.
Strong planning skills.
Strong experience coordinating
and overseeing a large number of diverse and complex projects and
Ability to work effectively at
all levels of an organization and influence others to progress
toward a common goal.
A commitment to building a
diverse organization and an inclusive culture.
Education: Bachelor's degree,
or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of IT leadership and management with operations experience at an institution of higher education.
- Project management certification.
- Solid experience working with Agile methodology.
- Education: Master's degree
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert