Associate Director, Data Scientist
- Princeton University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 31, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Associate Director, Data Scientist
Job ID: 2022-16018
# of Openings: 1
Category: Information Technology
As part of University Advancement Data Strategy and Innovation team, the Data Scientist’s role is to turn data into tactical information and knowledge by applying statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. Data Strategy and Innovation plays a critical strategic role within Advancement, providing the analytical framework, data architecture, application development and tools for data-driven decision making, as well as predictive analytics, that can be used by all levels of the organization. The person in this role should be a creative thinker and propose innovative ways to look at problems and utilize data that can be used to make sound organizational decisions. The Data Scientist will need to be able to present their findings to the business by exposing their assumptions and validation work in a way that can be easily understood by their business counterparts. In addition, this position will serve as a liaison to other teams within University Advancement – acting as a technical lead and driving strategic planning to successfully execute analytics strategies and solutions in support of the University fundraising and engagement operation. Princeton University Advancement works to inform, inspire, and involve Princeton’s global community of alumni, parents, and friends in ways that enable the University to fulfill its mission of advancing learning through scholarship, research, and teaching to serve humanity.
Statistical Modeling and Technical Exploration
- Utilizing a combination of business focus, strong analytical and problem-solving skills and programming knowledge, drive new innovations and data exploration.
- Develop recommendation engines or automated lead scoring systems to drive our prospect management strategy and marketing segmentation, utilizing machine learning techniques.
- Work with structured data and drive innovation in unstructured data architecture and analysis.
- Work with statistical programming language, like R or Python, and database querying language like PL/SQL.
- Utilize innovative approaches to drive knowledge, incorporate and promote a big data environment.
- Identify what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes such as social media and web analytics.
- Work with business users to define desired outcomes and business requirements of analyses, data visualization and other reporting.
- Provide expertise on mathematical concepts for broader applied analytics and inspire the adoption of advanced analytics and data science across the Advancement Office.
- Describe findings or the way techniques work to audiences, both technical and non-technical, effectively using presentation tools such as data visualization, PowerPoint and documentation to drive strategic decision making and understanding of business analytics at all levels of the organization.
- Assist in addressing daily operational questions as needed, identify critical process improvement areas and collaborate in developing procedures and solutions for enhancing a high level of customer service.
- Working closely with Data Strategy and Innovation team members, conceive of and contribute to strategies and best practices in maintaining a comprehensive, reliable, and innovative data environment.
- Review and recommend use of new technologies, vendor services and information sources. Keep abreast of news and relevant industry trends in support of the Office of Advancement.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in using advanced analytic and database tools, internet resources, in-house data, and other references.
- Bachelor’s Degree and five to ten years of professional experience required in an analytical or information specialist role within an academic, nonprofit, corporate or consulting setting.
- Deep understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms.
- Keen desire to solve business problems, and to find patterns and insights within structured and unstructured data.
- Expert in analyzing large, complex, multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools.
- Accomplished in the use of statistical analysis environments such as R, MATLAB, SPSS or SAS.
- Experience with BI tools such as Tableau.
- Having a good understanding of relational databases, warehouse design and architecture principles.
- Familiarity with big data frameworks (e.g., such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark).
- Good scripting and programming skills (e.g. familiarity with SQL, Python, Java).
- Strong foundation in statistical, mathematical, predictive modeling as well as business strategy skills to build the algorithms necessary to ask the right questions and find effective answers.
- Familiar with disciplines such as: natural language processing, machine learning, conceptual modelling, statistical analysis, predictive modeling and hypothesis testing.
- Able to create examples, prototypes, demonstrations to help management better understand the work.
- Able to work autonomously.
- Proficiency at planning and setting meaningful objectives to meet office goals. Ability to articulate and promote goals and implement strategic plans.
- Strong interpersonal skills; as well as strong initiative and self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and manage teams within a customer-service oriented environment.
- Excellent written/oral/interpersonal communication skills in order to: identify and articulate business challenges, project objectives, and analytical approach.
- Organizational skills to handle several projects simultaneously, accommodate shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information and material in a discretionary manner.
- Commitment to University Advancement’s mission to inform,
involve, and inspire Princeton’s global community of alumni and
friends, and adhering to its guiding principles of High
Performance, Innovation, Civility, and Collaboration.
- Knowledge of Princeton’s mission.
- Experience in higher education.
- Advanced degree in areas such as operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, or a related quantitative discipline.
- Understanding of philanthropy (mission, practice, trends) and
fundraising practices (the development cycle, prospect management
policies and practices)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert