Community Program Coordinator, Senior
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Community Program Coordinator, Senior
Location: Road Scholar
Job ID: 606977
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- Incumbent will be leading multi-day/night group travel programs with between 18-38 participants, depending on the program. Weekend work, extended hours, driving University vans (no special permit required) and travel are required. Most common destination from Sedona is the Grand Canyon. Travel related to programs will be approximately 16 weeks per year.
- Position focuses on managing Sedona based programs. Preference for incumbent to be based in the Verde Valley (Sedona, Cottonwood, Camp Verde, Cornville, Rimrock, Lake Montezuma, etc.) as most of the work occurs in Sedona and incumbent frequently needs to be on site, and on call, for extended hours and on occasional weekends. If Incumbent is in the Verde Valley area, travel to Flagstaff periodically to work in the NAU office would be expected.
- If incumbent is not based in the Verde Valley area, the position will be in Flagstaff based at the Road Scholar office on the NAU Campus.
The Road Scholar program operates weeklong educational travel programs targeted to participants over the age of 50 as well as younger adult family members and children 9 - 13 from all parts of the United States. The NAU program operates 180 programs per year and has 27 distinct itineraries. The position will serve as the “Sedona Manager” for our larger program that is based on the campus of Northern Arizona University. This position will provide the managerial, administrative, and instructional oversight of all programs that are based in the Sedona area as well as serve as the group leader for many of these programs.
Education and Presentation - 55%
- Maintains and develops the educational content and itineraries for Sedona based Road Scholar programs.
- Conducts natural history programs in the field, National Parks, etc.
- Provides in the field leadership for week-long to 8-day educational programs for groups up to 40 people.
- Provides educational content and leads field excursions as needed to the region's scenic and educational attractions.
- Responsible to speak and present educational information in front of large audiences on a regular basis.
- Drives participants in university passenger vans to programs itinerary destinations.
- For motor coach programs, provides interpretive duties of the geography and national history of the area while transporting passengers.
Program Operations Management - 25%
- Recruits and schedules instructors, field trips, and works to coordinate and confirm logistical details.
- Writes weekly post program reports and reviews client's evaluations to determine potential corrective actions.
- Proofs and edits Road Scholar program catalog copy, information letters, and weekly schedules.
- Provides support to participants in the field when required, such as first aid or emergency services.
Community Relations Liaison - 10%
- Acts as the liaison between lodging and dining facilities, the Road Scholar participants, and the Road Scholar Flagstaff office for our various program itineraries. This position will focus on the Sedona area programming and may also have vendors to liaison with in other parts of Arizona.
Leadership of Program Staff - 5%
- Provides on-going training for Part-Time program staff members on subject matter and effective interpretive presentation methodologies utilizing specialized knowledge and skills.
- Participates in process of selecting, hiring and onboarding new program staff for our various program itineraries.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment.
- Three to Five years of relevant experience, instructional or subject work experience.
- A combination of related education, experience and training may be used as an equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- First-Aid and CPR Certified. Applicant can attain this post hire.
- Certified in Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness First Aid (WFA). Applicant may need to acquire this post hire.
- Must have a valid State of Arizona driver's license, clean driving record and ability to drive University vans.
- Two to Three years' experience working in a tourism industry or adult educational fields.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Comfortable verbally presenting educational content and program information to groups up to 40 people.
- Knowledge of the natural history, human history, geology, geography, and native culture of the southwest.
- Experience with program development and implementation.
- Group Tour guiding experience, preferably in the Colorado Plateau and Southwest.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to jump in and do what needs to be done for the success of the program.
- Familiarity with using apps on cellular devices.
- Effective working knowledge in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to problem solve and make alternative arrangements on short notice.
- Ability to be flexible and open to different points of view.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as be self-directed.
- Ability to work with, and be sensitive to the needs of, individuals over the age of 55.
- Ability to work with all ages during grandparent and family programs.
- Ability to work with people from various culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $55,000. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
March 1, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606977&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert