Director - School of Nursing
- Clemson University
- South Carolina, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Nursing
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
lemson University's School of Nursing (CUSON) is seeking
applications for the position of Director, a tenure-line position
with faculty rank of Full Professor, to begin July 1, 2023. The
Director will report directly to the Dean of the College of
Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences (CBSHS), which includes the
following departments: Communication; Parks, Recreation and Tourism
Management; Political Science; Psychology; Public Health Sciences;
Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice; and the School of
As a public, land-grant institution, Clemson's mission goes beyond
simply serving as an institute of higher education. Our mission is
to benefit the public good. One of the most productive public
research universities in the nation, Clemson University attracts
and unites students and faculty whose greatest desire is to make a
difference in the lives of others. In 2022, Clemson was once again
ranked as one of the top public universities in the country by U.S.
News & World Report and has a long-standing reputation of
dedication to teaching, research and service. Clemson was also
named a top employer by Forbes in 2021.
Clemson University is committed to embracing and promoting an inclusive environment for higher learning and has recently received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award (2022) from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine as well as one of only 14 schools to be named Diversity Champion, scoring in top tier of all HEED Award institutions. CUSON is committed to teaching, research and service to the public of South Carolina, the nation and the world. As we prepare nurses for professional practice, advance nursing scholarship and health care leadership, we are shaping the future of nursing and health care — and advancing health and quality of life in South Carolina, the nation and beyond. CUSON is a nationally recognized program focused on equipping students to make a tangible difference in health care. As the School prepares nurses for professional practice and the advancement of nursing scholarship, they are shaping the future of nursing and health care and advancing health and quality of life in South Carolina, the nation and beyond.
CUSON employs 46 full-time faculty and is one of the University's most competitive academic programs. Currently the School enrolls 891 undergraduate students, 40 MS students, 37 PhD students, and 36 DNP students across their BS, RNBS Completion, and Accelerated Second Degree programs as well as their MS, DNP, and PhD in Healthcare Genetics. CUSON operates on two sites – one on the Clemson University main campus and the second in nearby Greenville at Prisma Health. The baccalaureate and master's degree programs in nursing, along with the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are all accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. The CUSON has been recognized as one of only 95 nursing programs, nationwide, to have garnered recognition as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by The National League, one of the highest honors in the nursing education field. The pass rate for first-time test taking students on the NCLEX has been above state and national rates for over 10 years. Key to the success of the nursing students, the Clemson Simulation Lab is highly engaged at the state level (South Carolina Nursing Education and Simulation Alliance), regional level (Carolinas Healthcare Simulation Alliance), and national level (INASCL, SSIH, NLN). Beyond the classroom, CUSON has received grant funds totaling nearly $4 million to help educate nurses on mobile health and ultimately increase the workforce to bring health care to patients living in rural areas in South Carolina. The grant, “Go Mobile: Rural, nurse-led expansion and education of diverse workforce practice for underserved populations in Appalachian and Midlands, South Carolina,” was funded by the United States Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) in 2022.
In 2019, CUSON, in partnership with Prisma Health, received a $2.7 million Advanced Nursing Education Workforce grant from HRSA to increase the nurse practitioner workforce and promote nurse practitioner primary care education in six Upstate South Carolina counties. This project also established/formed/created The Appalachian American Alliance of Nurse Practitioners (AAANP) to provide resources for clinical practice, continuing professional education, professional advocacy, and networking for nurse practitioners in the Appalachian region.
CUSON, in partnership with Prisma Health, was funded by HRSA in 2018 ($949,396) and 2022 ($460,644) to expand the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Workforce in Upstate South Carolina. The goal is to increase the number of trained and certified sexual assault nurse examiners at Prisma Health facilities in Greenville and Upstate counties to provide 24-hour, seven-day-a-week coverage for patients.
The Healthcare Genetics and Genomics Laboratory is fully stocked with requisite laboratory equipment and supplies for cell culture, cell sorting, PCR and real-time PCR, gel electrophoresis, microscopy, metabolomics, and related tasks. The laboratory is certified as a BSL-2 laboratory and approved to use human tissue samples, typically blood specimens, lymphoblastoid cell lines, and cancer cell lines.
The Center for Research on Health Disparities provides leadership for the development and advancement of comprehensive, culturally sensitive, community-based participatory research that improves health outcomes and enhances the quality of life. The center links faculty, students, and community members to advance research on the complex causes of health disparities and strategies to eliminate these disparities. To accomplish its goals, the center draws on the support of and collaboration among individual and institutional partners. The commitment to research on health disparities as well as other aspects of healthcare is a hallmark of a School of Nursing committed to supporting the goals of an R1 institution.
CUSON is focused on educating and producing leaders who can navigate the challenges of an ever-changing global community. The department espouses an environment of collegiality and collaboration and aims to achieve goals for inclusive excellence set forth by the college and university's strategic plans. We are dedicated to promoting, advocating, and progressing diversity through teaching, scholarship, and service on campus and in the community.
An overview of our department is available here.
The expectations of the Director include, but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Dean of the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences and is responsible for administering the School of Nursing programs.
- Providing oversight for the research, teaching and outreach activities of the School of Nursing faculty, as well as for education, accreditation, and certification processes.
- Representing CUSON in relation with other units and administrative offices of the University.
- Enhancing and expanding equity, diversity, and inclusive excellence initiatives among faculty, staff, and students in the School including growing the diversity of faculty, staff, and students in the School.
- Being accountable for the School's budget, and is expected to take the initiative in reporting the School's needs and advocating its goals and plans for program improvement.
- Holding faculty rank and engages in the research, teaching and outreach functions of faculty to the extent feasible.
- Overseeing implementation of University and School procedures for faculty appointment, reappointment, tenure, promotion, termination, and dismissal, including implementation of affirmative action policies and procedures.
- Supervising the School's program of instruction, including scheduling, faculty workload, student advisement, enrollment management, and research and public service activities.
- Managing on-going evaluation of CUSON programs, faculty, and students through a process that incorporates input from students, faculty, affiliating clinical agencies, and other groups and units as appropriate.
- Supporting the mission and vision of the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Science and the Clemson University strategic plan.
To apply for this position, candidates should have at least three years of department, college, or university level administrative experience. The candidate will be a leader with a vision for helping maintain the department's strong commitment to student success while advancing and expanding our research efforts as an R1 institution.
Responsibilities include working with faculty and staff to chart a vision for the future of CUSON, working collaboratively with college and university administrators, facilitating student recruitment, fundraising, budget administration, and personnel management. The ideal candidate will be fiscally responsible, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and demonstrate a strong sense of stewardship.
The ideal applicant will provide specific evidence of:
- Terminal degree (PhD), research, and teaching experience in Nursing;
- The qualifications and record to be hired at the rank of full professor and meet the departmental qualifications for tenure.
- Experience with consensus-based shared faculty governance grounded in transparency;
- Academic administrative experience (e.g., fiscal, human resources, operations, policy, development)
- Success in managing multi-faceted academic/program units;
- Effective communication with internal and external stakeholders that fosters collegiality;
- National demonstrated reputation for excellence in research and teaching;
- Experience in securing resources (e.g., major grants, donations, contracts, public/private partnerships, enterprise operations); and,
- Strong transformational leadership approach, with demonstrated acumen in organizational and interpersonal skills.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert