- SUNY Cortland
- New York, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology, Technology Administration/Other
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Academic Affairs, Division of
Networking and Telecommunications
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
As a member of Networking and Telecommunications team this position provides technical support: install, troubleshoot, and repair the college’s networking and telecommunications infrastructure. Run hardware and software diagnostics, identify and resolve problems. The person in this position will also assist with complex testing and analysis of all elements of the network infrastructure, including server, software, and communication devices. This position will serve as backup support to other Networking and Telecommunication Services areas.
Primary Technical Responsibilities
- Assist with maintaining network and telecom systems in use at SUNY Cortland and its satellite locations. Identify and resolve performance problems, failures, and other issues that arise within these systems. Mitigate the root cause of service interruptions and effectively utilize vendor service contracts.
- Maintain operation of campus network UPS systems.
- Monitor network systems and respond to problems, alerts, and alarms. Respond to daily network and telecom help tickets. Respond to after-hours network emergencies on occasion.
- Provide technical support to network users and help nontechnical people understand and use complex equipment and software. Support network and telecom needs of campus construction surge efforts. Interface effectively with customers and other members of the IR team.
- Follow project plans and designs to implement new systems and networks and meet specific project needs such as schedule, performance, and cost. Assist with installing, configuring, and resolving conflicts among hardware and software systems used to provide new network services.
- Promote active communication between functional users and team members. Contribute appropriately to conversations and meetings. Accurately prepare written and verbal correspondence that is coherent, effective and professional.
- Effectively communicate project timelines, readiness and status updates to the director and functional users on a regular basis.
- Communicate effectively with manufacturer’s technical support and help desk personnel for support assistance.
- Document procedures, diagrams, and enhance network documentation of the campus LAN and Internet, IP address management, edge security equipment, wireless systems, telecommunications systems, and UPS units.
- Maintain and review a centrally located repository of documentation. Repositories can include the Help Center ticketing system and project management application (currently Team Dynamix), asset management tracking system, N&T shared drive and other office tools. Provide feedback and recommendations to improve organization’s documentation systems and processes.
- Configure and support evolving network security technology building on the ISE security framework, including evaluation of benefits of advanced features.
- Maintain knowledge of SUNY Cortland, State of New York, and Federal information security policies: FERPA, GLB, Red Flag, PCI, and any relevant records retention policies. Report any misuse or security vulnerability to the Security Officer.
- Continually update technical knowledge and skills by attending in-house and external trainings, professional conferences, reading manuals, and being proactive by assessing new applications.
- Reports to Director of Networking and Telecommunications.
- Works closely with Senior Network Technicians and other members of Information Resources.
- Could occasionally supervise student workers.
- Associate’s degree; two or more years’ relevant network experience; In lieu of degree, four years of full time directly related experience, or a combination of higher education and experience totaling three years may be considered.
- Hands on field work experience with maintenance of network systems including installation, termination, testing, and troubleshooting. in a complex information technology environment.
- Evidence of interpersonal communications and writing skills sufficient to provide excellence in service to campus community members at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to stay current and learn technology related to the position.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Hands on field work experience with maintenance of structured cabling systems including installation, termination, and testing of network cabling.
- Knowledge and skills related to a Cisco networking environment that includes Cisco switches, phones, and wireless devices.
- Experience supporting a campus network environment.
- Relevant Cisco technical network certification such as CCT .
The State University of New York Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The university actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the university.
Job Close Date
Posting Detail Information
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert