Custodian, Swing Shift (3 Positions)
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services, Safety & Security
- Employment Type
- Full Time
*These positions will work weekends. Please see work schedules below.*
The custodian will sweep, vacuum, spot carpets, clean carpets, scrub, mop, wax, and polish floors; clean classrooms, laboratories, lavatories, locker rooms, blackboards, white boards, windows, venetian style blinds; replenish lavatory supplies, empty wastebaskets and recycling bins and remove trash/recycling from campus buildings, replace lamps in light fixtures; lock and unlock doors and windows as required; safeguard building or equipment; and other duties listed in the Classification and Qualification Standards of the CSU system and the Department Standards Guideline may be assigned in order to meet customer and campus needs. Different shift operational needs may vary to some degree and individual assignments on a given date are determined by available staffing, campus customer needs, and customer expectations.
- Removes and replenishes all dispenser supplies and materials
- Dusts, sweeps, mops, and scrubs floors with department approved chemicals
- Cleans walls, mirrors, partitions, fixtures, and ventilation coverings
- Cleans toilets, urinals, and sinks with department approved chemicals
- Removes and empties all trash/recycling containers daily to appropriate locations
- Transports materials between buildings and utilizes vehicles
- Sweeps, dust mops, mops, and vacuums daily; spots carpets, strips, waxes, and polishes floors weekly
- Cleans and maintains door and entry glass daily
- Organizes and moves tables and chairs to campus standard
- Checks and changes light bulbs/tubes daily in all areas
- Utilizes personal protective equipment
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam
- May be required to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to use and care for custodial supplies and equipment
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to implement a customer service approach, with a commitment to high ethical standards
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations
- Ability to communicate verbally at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to follow simple oral and written directions
- Ability to understand chemical/product mixing ratios and ability to label containers accordingly
- Requires the possession of a valid California Driver’s License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Six months of full time custodial or service industry experience in an institutional or commercial setting
- Six months of full-time experience with industrial commercial equipment
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $3,120/month
CSU Hiring Range: $3,120/month - $4,196/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Driver's License
Selected candidates will be placed in one of the following shifts based on operational needs.
Sunday through Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
Tuesday through Saturday 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 27, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert