Director, University Stores
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Pennsylvania, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
The Carnegie Mellon University store is a $10M per year self-operated retail enterprise responsible for campus-wide sales of gifts, apparel, technology, art supplies and course materials. The Director of the University Stores is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all aspects of the strategy and operations of the University Stores.
Duties include, but are not limited to, strategic planning, organizational design, budget planning and analysis, business administration, performance planning and monitoring, compliance, policy development and implementation, as well as identifying opportunities, risks, and strategies to achieve planned goals. The Director leads a management team comprised of an Operations Manager, Technology Store Manager, Merchandise Manager, and Marketing & Communications Manager and fourteen employees overall. The Director reports to the Associate Vice President for Facilities Management and Campus Services.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to the team.
- Provides strategic direction for the Stores, approaching opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit, developing strategies around those, and seeing them to fruition.
- Provides financial leadership, including expense and loss control, pricing policies, and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliance.
- Develops budgets and provides forecast updates for five product areas (Technology Store, Course Materials, Gifts & Apparel, Art & Engineering, Supplies), a non-merchandise budget for eCommerce service provided to a campus partner (the Robotics Institute), and an Administration cost center.
- Monitors sales activity providing input to leverage strong product lines and support weaker ones.
- Actively represents the University Stores across campus and is, in many respects, the University’s “front door” to the public.
- Represents the Stores on the Facilities Management & Campus Services Executive Committee.
- Exhibits creativity and innovative thinking to continue to drive traffic to the University Stores and develop unique attractions and programs to cultivate a "destination" feel.
• Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree a plus).
• Strong decision-making skills.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Relevant work experience.
• Retail management experience.
• Strategic management and planning skills.
• Collegiate retail experience preferred.
• Retail accounting, financial management, and budgeting acumen.
• Understanding of inventory management and open-to-buy.
• Leadership to develop and guide an outstanding team.
• Ability to work effectively in a diverse community.
About the Carnegie Mellon University Stores
- The “Stores” are comprised of a technology “recharge” unit charged with breaking even and multiple “auxiliary” units charged with generating net revenue.
- The technology store, the recharge unit, is an authorized reseller for Apple, Dell, Lenovo, and Microsoft.
- The auxiliary unit includes apparel, gifts, art materials, supplies, and course materials.
- Gross sales are in the range of $10M per year. Current year-to-date sales and net income exceed pre-pandemic (i.e., 2019) levels.
- The Stores maintain interaction and collaboration with other CMU campuses that do not have their own stores, including CMU-Qatar, CMU-Africa, and CMU-Silicon Valley.
- The Stores utilize MBS store technology solutions. This suite of products includes Point of Sale, Inventory Management, inSite eCommerce, and Dashboard Business Intelligence.
- The Stores work with inventory management consultant, Management One, which provides fabulous inventory data sliced and diced by their software.
- A strong financial position with strong reserves on hand will be used for upcoming renovations that will positively impact the Store’s success.
- In the fall of 2021, a campus study confirmed that the institutional store model is the right choice for CMU (as opposed to leasing the store to Barnes & Noble, Follet, etc.).
Carnegie Mellon University is conducting a regional search with the assistance of Helbling & Associates.
Carnegie Mellon University is an equal opportunity employer / disability / veteran.
Please apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to the Helbling contacts below. You may also provide nominations or ask any questions.
Marc Datz, Regional Manager
O: (724) 935-7500 x110
C: (412) 337-3151
Olivia Lyle, Search Support Specialist
O: (724) 935-7500 x123
C: (412) 537-8613
About Our Firm
Helbling & Associates is a national executive search firm, specializing in facilities management; architecture, engineering, and construction; and real estate development roles.
Founded in 1992, we provide a team approach to executive searches, allowing our clients to benefit from our professionals’ combined 250+ years of recruiting experience. We offer the sophistication and resources of a large search firm, while our specialized boutique operation brings a strong client focus, personalized consulting, and the attention to detail that builds long-term partnerships.
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie
Mellon ” to learn more about becoming part of an
institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view
a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
Statement of Assurance
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert